Discuss People drive me mad! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

D Skelton

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Ok, so I'm registered with Rated People. I don't use them very often but once or twice I have purchased a lead that has turned out to be very profitable. I usually get about 10-15 emails per day from them and most are just deleted however this one caught my eye! Now this isn't a rant about Rated People whatsoever but instead a rant at Joe 'bloomin' dimwitted cheapskate' Public!

Below is what can only be called an essay of a job description, read it and weep!

[FONT=&amp]This job involves electrical inspection and testing, plus lighting and power installation; partly outdoors with armoured SWA cable (requiring a ladder and drilling through an external wall) but mostly indoors. As much detail as possible is provided below as requested. A 6A lighting circuit and 32A sockets ring has been built in the loft space at the property, terminating in a large cupboard in the loft. These circuits require inspection, testing and certification if possible, before connecting into the consumer unit directly downstairs in the 1st floor kitchen, via a length of SWA armoured cable running down the outside of the house. As an indicator of the level of complexity of the loft lighting that needs to be checked, the circuit consists of 16 x 50W GU10 spotlights supplied by 2-way master switching between a ceiling-pull switch, accessible from downstairs, and a conventional rocker switch, accessible in the loft. This switched master supply feeds 2 x 400W rated dimmers which control 8 x 50W spotlights each. There are also 4 x bayonet bulb fittings in the corners of the large loft cupboard, controlled from a single conventional rocker switch never carrying more than 300W total (due to the 100W bulb having been banned). These lighting circuits have been built in oversized 2.5mm2 T&E cable because in some places the cables lie on insulation. 3-core 2-way switching cable was found only to be available in 1.5mm2 although this is thought not to be a problem as it will only ever carry the maximum 3.3A used to supply the spotlights. The cables leading from the junction boxes to the individual spot fittings are also only 1.5mm2 although this is thought not to be a problem because they are only carrying the 0.2A supply for each 50W spot. These circuits need checking, including switch capacities, successful earthing, earth tails to metal back boxes and brown sleeving as appropriate at switching junctions etc. As an indicator of the level of complexity of the loft sockets that need checking, the ring is made up of 8 x twin sockets with no spurs. The ring has been built using oversized 4mm2 T&E cable because in some places the cables lie on insulation. Continuity of the ring and earthing needs checking, including earth sleeving and tails to metal back boxes etc. After checking, the loft lighting and sockets circuits will need a small 2-gang MCB fuse box installed in the cupboard in the loft so that they can be isolated individually. The SWA cable connecting this box to the consumer unit in the kitchen can probably be 6mm2 to carry the required 38A (say 40A with losses) and is unlikely to need to be more than 5m in length, although using 10mm2 x 10m long would offer contingency. Using 3-core with a spare earth so as not to rely on the armouring to carry the earth is fine - whatever is best practice. The SWA cable will need clipping to the brick wall outside and will need to pass through the soffit board (max 25mm thick) into the eaves of the loft with some silicone sealant. Likewise the SWA cable will need to pass through the external wall of the kitchen (approx 300mm thick) and be sealed afterwards. An armoured cable is already in place through the wall of the kitchen to the garage - it may be possible to share the same hole with some enlargement and reseal. The consumer unit is sited in a kitchen cupboard directly against the external wall so very little indoor routing of the SWA cable is required. The existing consumer unit is old and does not include RCDs, however the cupboard is cramped, making the fitting of a stand-alone RCD unit difficult. For this reason we would like to replace the consumer unit entirely with a new version with RCDs built in, provided this is not too expensive. We are hopeful that this will not uncover residual current faults elsewhere in the flat although recognise that resolving these faults falls outside the described scope of work. The work is expected to occupy less than 2 days (half day inspection + half day armoured cable routing + half day replacing consumer unit) and materials are expected to cost less than £150 incl. VAT (£60 RCD consumer unit + £20 2-gang MCB enclosure + £30 10mm2 x 10m SWA cable). If possible we would prefer the work to be completed in one long day, starting early. This work needs to be done ASAP to allow work to continue on insulating the loft. If the total price could be less than £300, including materials and VAT, we would be happy. My wife and I have not been homeowners for very long - future work is very likely if we can find a good electrician; trustworthy, neat etc. Thanks in advance.[/FONT]

Now to sum that up, essentially, this is some complete and utter melt that not only thinks he knows it all but most worryingly of all, he expects a qualified spark to come round and spend two days completeing this work, and probably have to put up with this turnip watching over thier shoulder the whole time for £150 labour! That's £75 a day!!!! Please bear in mind this customer is in central London as well!

IS HE MENTAL?!?!?

I was tempted to purchase this lead just to hurl some abuse at him!

Rant over.

Last edited:
I find clients who think they know how the job should be done and how long it should take are the worst kind. Invariably they have no idea of the kind of complications you can come across when doing a job. If they are so clever let them do it themselves!

I'm the electrician. I'm the professional. I decide how long the job will take. I decide how much it will cost! That's the view I have always had. If you don't like it, find some other mug to be dictated to!

Unbelievable!!!!!

I thought slave labour had been abolished looking at £45 note a day to park and congestion without diesel and wasted time moving the van every 2-4 hours on meters. The work done properly would take longer aswell

I use rated people but select job's carefully , one posted today install 3no 600 x 600 cat2 ( we supply scaffold) tower budget under £ 1,000.00
so there not all bad but have had instances where we have not been allowed to quote in these cases we always get a refund.

where the hell has he got those prices from?, sounds to me like it would take 1/2 day just to ascertain the functional switching of all those switches!! pull cords 2 way'd to control dimmers???????

Bloomin heck, took me 1/2 a day to bloody read his requirements.

JOG THE TRUCK ON I SAY :lol

Since the TV campaign Rated People has become just an even bigger quoting exercise that allows Joe Public to tap bullslips into a internet form and wait for the phone to start ringing. Little do they know or care that the leads COST the tradesperson!

I've expressed my views with Rated People already, I don't mind if I get beaten on a quote but this evening I went to a job where apparently 4? people have already been in to look at it and not one mentioned they were Part P registered. Oh, and the work needs to be completed before Monday!!!

Nice young lady but will end up going for the cheapest quote possible and not get a certificate at the end of it no doubt... Duuuuuuurgh!

:D

And now that knob Phil Spencer :jester: is fronting them it'll only be getting worse.

Also, how long before things go the same way as 'Trip Advisor' and some muppet :dunce: puts an undeservedly bad review about someone, and effectively puts the tin lid on their business (Well, as far as Rated People is concerned anyway)??

sounds like DIY joe wanting C.U. fitted n certt done so its part Pee he doesnt take account of the getting of kit , driving time ect ect ect ect ect WHAT A PILLOCK

Ok, so I'm registered with Rated People. I don't use them very often but once or twice I have purchased a lead that has turned out to be very profitable. I usually get about 10-15 emails per day from them and most are just deleted however this one caught my eye! Now this isn't a rant about Rated People whatsoever but instead a rant at Joe 'bloomin' dimwitted cheapskate' Public!

Below is what can only be called an essay of a job description, read it and weep!

[FONT=&amp]This job involves electrical inspection and testing, plus lighting and power installation; partly outdoors with armoured SWA cable (requiring a ladder and drilling through an external wall) but mostly indoors. As much detail as possible is provided below as requested. A 6A lighting circuit and 32A sockets ring has been built in the loft space at the property, terminating in a large cupboard in the loft. These circuits require inspection, testing and certification if possible, before connecting into the consumer unit directly downstairs in the 1st floor kitchen, via a length of SWA armoured cable running down the outside of the house. As an indicator of the level of complexity of the loft lighting that needs to be checked, the circuit consists of 16 x 50W GU10 spotlights supplied by 2-way master switching between a ceiling-pull switch, accessible from downstairs, and a conventional rocker switch, accessible in the loft. This switched master supply feeds 2 x 400W rated dimmers which control 8 x 50W spotlights each. There are also 4 x bayonet bulb fittings in the corners of the large loft cupboard, controlled from a single conventional rocker switch never carrying more than 300W total (due to the 100W bulb having been banned). These lighting circuits have been built in oversized 2.5mm2 T&E cable because in some places the cables lie on insulation. 3-core 2-way switching cable was found only to be available in 1.5mm2 although this is thought not to be a problem as it will only ever carry the maximum 3.3A used to supply the spotlights. The cables leading from the junction boxes to the individual spot fittings are also only 1.5mm2 although this is thought not to be a problem because they are only carrying the 0.2A supply for each 50W spot. These circuits need checking, including switch capacities, successful earthing, earth tails to metal back boxes and brown sleeving as appropriate at switching junctions etc. As an indicator of the level of complexity of the loft sockets that need checking, the ring is made up of 8 x twin sockets with no spurs. The ring has been built using oversized 4mm2 T&E cable because in some places the cables lie on insulation. Continuity of the ring and earthing needs checking, including earth sleeving and tails to metal back boxes etc. After checking, the loft lighting and sockets circuits will need a small 2-gang MCB fuse box installed in the cupboard in the loft so that they can be isolated individually. The SWA cable connecting this box to the consumer unit in the kitchen can probably be 6mm2 to carry the required 38A (say 40A with losses) and is unlikely to need to be more than 5m in length, although using 10mm2 x 10m long would offer contingency. Using 3-core with a spare earth so as not to rely on the armouring to carry the earth is fine - whatever is best practice. The SWA cable will need clipping to the brick wall outside and will need to pass through the soffit board (max 25mm thick) into the eaves of the loft with some silicone sealant. Likewise the SWA cable will need to pass through the external wall of the kitchen (approx 300mm thick) and be sealed afterwards. An armoured cable is already in place through the wall of the kitchen to the garage - it may be possible to share the same hole with some enlargement and reseal. The consumer unit is sited in a kitchen cupboard directly against the external wall so very little indoor routing of the SWA cable is required. The existing consumer unit is old and does not include RCDs, however the cupboard is cramped, making the fitting of a stand-alone RCD unit difficult. For this reason we would like to replace the consumer unit entirely with a new version with RCDs built in, provided this is not too expensive. We are hopeful that this will not uncover residual current faults elsewhere in the flat although recognise that resolving these faults falls outside the described scope of work. The work is expected to occupy less than 2 days (half day inspection + half day armoured cable routing + half day replacing consumer unit) and materials are expected to cost less than £150 incl. VAT (£60 RCD consumer unit + £20 2-gang MCB enclosure + £30 10mm2 x 10m SWA cable). If possible we would prefer the work to be completed in one long day, starting early. This work needs to be done ASAP to allow work to continue on insulating the loft. If the total price could be less than £300, including materials and VAT, we would be happy. My wife and I have not been homeowners for very long - future work is very likely if we can find a good electrician; trustworthy, neat etc. Thanks in advance.[/FONT]

Now to sum that up, essentially, this is some complete and utter melt that not only thinks he knows it all but most worryingly of all, he expects a qualified spark to come round and spend two days completeing this work, and probably have to put up with this turnip watching over thier shoulder the whole time for £150 labour! That's £75 a day!!!! Please bear in mind this customer is in central London as well!

IS HE MENTAL?!?!?

Rant over.

£75 a day - thats 3 hours cutting grass.

They're yesterday. Too many outfits like that. Stick with tried and trusted ways to get work

- recommendation

- repeat business

and do everything better than anyone else.

Then you won't need these middle men robbers.

These are the same people that think nothing of spending £800 on someone to plaster a bedroom or £300 to get the car serviced. Its taken me a while but I finally have created a way of pricing that works for me which ensures that I get a decent wage for the work and skill involved and I still feel I am very competitive. If I don't get used then it doesn't really bother me as I know I would ultimately lose out if I went cheaper.

IS HE MENTAL?!?!?

Rant over.

The thought of having to deal with whoever wrote this makes me want to cry. Imagine the extra 'while your here' jobs they would expect you to do for free as well.

Reply to People drive me mad! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net