Search the forum,

Discuss Periodic for Rented Flats in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

dentie2302

Hi All,

I have been approached by a friend to carry out a Periodic inspection for some flats he rents out. I am not registered with NIC, Elecsa ect at the moment however I am qualified and competant to do so (I have 2391-10).
Where do I stand with this as periodics are not notifiable? or will it be down to the insurance company requesting the cert?
Any advice would be appriciated.

Don't think that there is any law stating periods have to be done by someone registered with a scheme. Although its sometimes the insurance who state to use an NICEIC registered company/business.

Hi All,

I have been approached by a friend to carry out a Periodic inspection for some flats he rents out. I am not registered with NIC, Elecsa ect at the moment however I am qualified and competant to do so (I have 2391-10).
Where do I stand with this as periodics are not notifiable? or will it be down to the insurance company requesting the cert?
Any advice would be appriciated.

You can do the PIR so long as you are competent to do so.

Where the issue comes in with HMOs is which bits, if any are subject to Part P when it comes to remedials.

As with most things, it is probably better to err on the side of caution, however - occupied, Part P. Common areas with their own supply won't be though.

You may well find that if it is an insurance companies/letting companies intitated request they will want the tester to be part of a registered scheme for no pun intened insurance purposes.

Knowing most landlords as I do. I'd be amazed if it was generated by them. If that is the case he may have to ask the company if they will accept a PIR from you as a non registered person. In theory therefore no need to be registered but really difficult if your not.

Aslo flats are perhaps the hardest things to do a PIR on. You will up front have to stipulate that your only going to test the Installation, and unless you want to do them fire alarms and emergency lighting will not be done. These have to be tested on special forms as to BS 5839 for the fire alarms and BS 5266- and can't think which part for multipule dwellings of the top of my head.

Getting things at the origin of the installation is nigh near impossible due to accesss and getting the whole block shut down. So make sure you have your limitations done and approved before you start.

Aslo flats are perhaps the hardest things to do a PIR on. You will up front have to stipulate that your only going to test the Installation, and unless you want to do them fire alarms and emergency lighting will not be done. These have to be tested on special forms as to BS 5839 for the fire alarms and BS 5266- and can't think which part for multipule dwellings of the top of my head.

Again, nothing so simple with an HMO - much depends on the size and scope of the fire alarm as to whether it's part one or part six. To be sure, you need to know what it was designed for.

We see incorrectly completed certs all the time - tech on site has taken it for a Part Six, and completed accordingly, when in fact it's Part One for one reason or another.

Lighting is easier - it's 5266-8 whatever, although design, and performance is called in from all parts of the standard.

Reply to Periodic for Rented Flats in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net