Discuss Pls advice . 3x 2kw single phase 220v heater element to 6 kw three phase in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

K

krisbliz

Hi to all
So this is the question
I have heater system in my basement, it has 3x heater elements all rated 6kw, so i have 3x6kw. Each of them is connected through kontaktor with three phases and neutral wire, so correct me if im wrong, each heater element works 3x2kw 220v right? That means every phase spends 8.7A right?

I want to make so it can work only on three phases without the neutral so it will be 6kw heater and when i was calculating it will spend 15A and that means it will load every phase with 5A am i right?
Is this possible

Thanks in advance

6KW will be 6KW whatever you do and will cost you 6KWH of electricity for every hour the elements are live.

If it is working the way it is at the moment why do you want to change it? If it ain't broke don't fix it!

6kW @ 220V is 27A, or 9A/phase. no matter how you configure it, the total load will be the same.

Thanks guys, i thought that delta connection on the heater element lower the amp usage, but obviously i was wrong :). The point was i want to connect on each phase plus 6kw load, the cable that comes to the fuse box is 5x6mm and i wanted to lower the the amp that goes through that cable, the length of the cable is ~20 meters.
Anyone knows how much is the maximum KW/ Amps that i can pull from each phase ?

If the heating elements are connected in star with 220V across each element, you can't reduce the consumption by reconnecting. Had they been in delta, i.e. 380V across each element, it might have been possible to reconnect them in star and reduce the power by a factor of three, i.e total output per 3-phase element unit of 2kW.

Depending on installation method and insulation type, the cable may be able to carry around 40-50A so it's very close on current rating to being able to add the extra 18kW load. Is any diversity applicable? Voltage drop aside, that might make it OK without reducing your heating system loading.

A 3 pole switch would give two power options and quite easy to configure.

Heaterdual_zpsb934909d.jpg

Reply to Pls advice . 3x 2kw single phase 220v heater element to 6 kw three phase in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net