Discuss Proper SOOW wire gauge in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

wml5275

DIY
Reaction score
I plan to upgrade my portable generator to a larger 40 amp max output unit.

When I originally ran the cable to my electrical panel I used 8/3 NM-B W/G wire to allow for a future upgrade.

My question is what gauge SOOW should I use for the 10 foot generator lead, 8/4 or 6/4? I'm a little confused as to why 8/3 NM-B is rated for 40 amps and 8/4 SOOW is rated for 30 amps?

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks to all

Different types of cables have different current ratings for the same size conductor because the different types of insulation can handle different temperatures.
The conductors warm up during use and current ratings, when you get down to basics, are just telling you how much current a cable can carry before it gets too hot.

Some cables such as flexible cables will have lower current ratings because they are expected to be touched/handled whilst in use and so the surface temperature needs to be lower.

I plan to upgrade my portable generator to a larger 40 amp max output unit.

When I originally ran the cable to my electrical panel I used 8/3 NM-B W/G wire to allow for a future upgrade.

My question is what gauge SOOW should I use for the 10 foot generator lead, 8/4 or 6/4? I'm a little confused as to why 8/3 NM-B is rated for 40 amps and 8/4 SOOW is rated for 30 amps?

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks to all
Wm welcome to the forum and why are You using SOOW wire, you can get 8/3 with ground Romex. Its good for 50 amps and it’s approved for underground and wet locations. You can go to Lowe’s or Home Depot and purchase it by the foot. Are you saying that you are going to change the 30 amp plug on the generator to a 40 amp plug. What’s the wattage of your generator ? Romex is NMS cable and who told you it’s just good for 40 amps ?

Thank you.

As I mentioned in my post the main cable that I ran to my electrical panel is
8/3 NM-B W/G wire. I'm only using 10' of the SOOW cable to run from the inlet box to the generator because the 8/3 is not as flexible as the SOOW.

The new generator is 10,000 running watts rated 240 volts 40 amps and has a 50 Amp, 125/250 Volt Nema 14-50 3-Pole/4-Wire receptacle.

With regard to the 40 amp rating for the 8/3 that is what is listed on the Home Depot website for that particular wire. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Southwi...x-SIMpull-CU-NM-B-W-G-Wire-63949299/204632779

I was just asking if I should use the 8/4 SOOW or 6/4 SOOW for the 10' lead?

Thank you.

8/3 NM-B W/G wire. I'm only using 10' of the SOOW cable to run from the inlet box to the generator because the 8/3 is not as flexible as the SOOW.

The new generator is 10,000 running watts rated 240 volts 40 amps and has a 50 Amp, 125/250 Volt Nema 14-50 3-Pole/4-Wire receptacle.

With regard to the 40 amp rating for the 8/3 that is what is listed on the Home Depot website for that particular wire. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Southwi...x-SIMpull-CU-NM-B-W-G-Wire-63949299/204632779

WM just buy the # 6 then you will for sure be OK. I don’t care what they’re website tells you if you had a copy of the 2020 NEC code book it has and article just for cables, cords and their amperages. Good luck
[automerge]1581210123[/automerge]
Thank you.

I personally would not use SOOW cord but it’s your choice. I’m trying to help but you seem to have it figured out

WM just buy the # 6 then you will for sure be OK. I don’t care what they’re website tells you if you had a copy of the 2020 NEC code book it has and article just for cables, cords and their amperages. Good luck
[automerge]1581210123[/automerge]

I personally would not use SOOW cord but it’s your choice. I’m trying to help but you seem to have it figured out
I'm curious as to why you would not use SOOW?

Reply to Proper SOOW wire gauge in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net