Discuss Pulling 16mm SWA through 150 M of conduit? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Me and my old boss tried something similar years ago. Same ducting and cable size. Duct about 80metres long with a slight dogleg at one end. We had to tie the rope to the back of my van as pulling it by hand was impossible. Managed to get it 80% of the way but the rope snapped when the SWA reached the dogleg. we dug a hole found the break and managed to finish the job but to be honest I'd never wanna do it again.

Just let the customer be aware that it might not be possible.

Me and my old boss tried something similar years ago. Same ducting and cable size. Duct about 80metres long with a slight dogleg at one end. We had to tie the rope to the back of my van as pulling it by hand was impossible. Managed to get it 80% of the way but the rope snapped when the SWA reached the dogleg. we dug a hole found the break and managed to finish the job but to be honest I'd never wanna do it again.

Just let the customer be aware that it might not be possible.

E54 ain't gonna be pleased with your van antics :lol: Daz

OP, There is some sound advice in amongst the absurdities, I would also recommend a Mandrel to test that the ducting is still "true". Running a mandrel of a slightly smaller size than interior of duct will save you a lot of heartache.

Regards

Billy

I had a job a few years ago to pull 70m through a 50mm underground conduit. Have to say NEVER AGAIN will I take on that kind of job as even the slightest rise or kink on the conduit can result in the cable sticking, in the end it was a case of digging several holes and and two days locating the conduit before being able to get the new cable plus being out of pocket on the job.

"Never again". - That's a recurring theme! I was just talking to the hire company about their winch, and they don't really know how to use it. For instance 10mm polypropylene (~ 1 tonne break, but very stretchy, maybe need to go bigger) or spend an arm and a leg on dyneema rope (winch manufacturers say use non-stretch rope).

"Never again". - That's a recurring theme! I was just talking to the hire company about their winch, and they don't really know how to use it. For instance 10mm polypropylene (~ 1 tonne break, but very stretchy, maybe need to go bigger) or spend an arm and a leg on dyneema rope (winch manufacturers say use non-stretch rope).

While I don't know much about pulling very long cables (and I'm going to be very wary if anyone ever asks me to now), why does it matter if the rope is stretchy? Could it be good to have some stretch in it, to reduce the mechanical shocks to the cable? Perhaps E54 or someone can advise.

While I don't know much about pulling very long cables (and I'm going to be very wary if anyone ever asks me to now), why does it matter if the rope is stretchy? Could it be good to have some stretch in it, to reduce the mechanical shocks to the cable? Perhaps E54 or someone can advise.

Apart from what Terminator has just stated, winches work on the basis of having an adjustable clutch which is set to slip/freewheel at a predetermined torque point, applicable to manufacturers recommendations for a given size and make-up of cable. All the cable winches i've experience of, use steel draw cables (and cable socks), though i have seen some using reinforced rope draws....

The other fact is that you shouldn't even attempt pulling cables into a continuous duct, over very long distances in one go, but then that's another matter altogether.

The point is, if carrying out a cable pull correctly, and the cable winch is continuously going into slip mode, then the pull length and or design of the cable duct is Wrong, and when those that know no better hook the cable pull wire up to a van//lorry/tractor and forcibly drag the cable come what may, through!!

Reply to Pulling 16mm SWA through 150 M of conduit? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net