Discuss Putting 230v into Camper van in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

H

highspark

I have client who has requested 230v sockets in a camper can which is being turned into a mobile coffee shop for festivals etc.

Regarding the vehicle chassis and bonding. Will the vehicle require an earth Rod?

The sockets are to be supplied by a single phase portable generator. It's the earthing that is confusing me. Sockets will be fed from small RCD protected consumer unit.

Not an expert on this at all, but I would think an Earth rod is unlikely to be used unless the caravan would be sited permanently in one location, which by the sounds of it is not the case. I would suggest that there is an external earth link for an Earth rod that the user could use, but how do you know they would?

With regards the vehicle chassis remember vehicles are NEGATIVE EARTH, vehicle systems dump to the chassis all the time, 12/24v switching in vehicles is on the negative and not the positive so there will be spikes and this will likely trip any 30mA RCD on the installation, I would give this some serious consideration. The best course of action might be to contact one of the companies that produce these commercially and see how they deal with the problem, or contact the IET Technical Advice team.

Not sure how much experience of this type of work the Guys here have, but I would strongly suggest you tread carefully because if this is used commercially you fall under the Electricity at Work Act, HSAW and MHSAW not mention other regulations related to vehicle construction and use, I suspect that it is a potential minefield to do it properly.

I have client who has requested 230v sockets in a camper can which is being turned into a mobile coffee shop for festivals etc.

Regarding the vehicle chassis and bonding. Will the vehicle require an earth Rod?

The sockets are to be supplied by a single phase portable generator. It's the earthing that is confusing me. Sockets will be fed from small RCD protected consumer unit.

before I let you know my thoughts can you let us know yours?

Doing it properly is not difficult, but there are a lot of things to consider, which is beyond a post on here. The relevant section in Part 7 of the BGB describes all you need to know, and it isnt the usual regs drawl, it is in english. I dont like to quote the regs, but in this case it has all the answers.

Cheers............Howard

Reply to Putting 230v into Camper van in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net