Discuss random sockets stopped working in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

andyc209

Please can someone help me solve a problem in my house - basically random sockets around the house have stopped working - all in garage, one upstairs and three in the kitchen. This happened a few weeks back then two days later they all worked again. Now they have gone again although a surge protect adaptor is showing power when plugged in (green light is on) but when i turn a lamp on that i plug in it does not work. Then strangely the gas cooker ignition started working again for about 15 minutes then stopped again. I have a small fuse box with a pull out fuse for sockets, lights, cooker and heating so i assume it cannot be the fuse as all the other sockets work. Has anyone any ideas? I bought a digital multimeter from B&Q which says it can test up to 600 volts AC/DC - will this help me test each socket?
thanks for any help.

forget the multimeter. they can prove to be dangerous if used incorrectly and i wouldn't trust the insulation on the leads as far as i could throw a sumo wrestler.

there are several possible causes for your problem, sounds like a poor connection , coud be the fuse board, and, without appearing to be an alarmist, you are in serious danger of a fire. ffs get a qualified spark in to fix it. saving a few quid is not worth the risk.

I agree with TEL, don't start dismantling anything and using a B&Q tester, for your purposes it would be much safer to test your sockets with a known good appliance such as a small lamp or hairdryer.

Could possibly be a phase down or faulty neutral but if the fuses and circuit breakers are all okay then you're going to need an electrician to check your installation.

Last edited:
could be almost anything , even a bad tail connection or suppliers fuse connection breaking down under load. whatever it is, it needs a spark with the right test gear to investigate the problem

thanks for the replies - if i pull the fuse out on the fuse box and kill the entire socket circuit can i at least look for any loose wires on the 'dead' sockets?

if you want to do that, then switch the lot off with the main switch in the fuse board. you never know if some lemon in the past has connected a socket onto the lighting , cooker or any other circuit. or got the polarity wrong so that by pulling the fuse, you have cut the neutral and not the live.

you could look for loose connections but if they aint been touched before , very unlikely, this is the cause, you need to be dam sure the circuit is isolated because tricity can be very unforgiven

It does happen and it can cause burning when the contact becomes poor. It's really not something you want to be repairing yourself, if it is a simple problem the cost of an electrician should be minimal.

corrosion caused by damp,old cable stressed and snapped, nail or screw through cable in floors or walls, tired old fuse carriers.

what's your location. a forumm member may be near to you and you won't get robbed

live in Biddulph - stoke-on-trent - ST8 if anyone is nearby? As with many these days not awash with cash so would need an idea of a price if poss

about 20 miles from me. i'd be happy to call and have a look. £35 covers up to 1 hour. should either have it fixed in an hour unless it's something serious.

have to wait and see whatr the fault is. don't wait up.

I also have to agree with tel, you deffinateley have a loose phase connection and yes if it happens to be within range of any thing flamable you have a serious risk of fire so take the multi meter back and put the money inyo hiring a sparks for the day to sort it.

Reply to random sockets stopped working in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net