Discuss RCBO installtion in old MCU following EICR Report in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Attached from BS 7671:2018.

"The regulations apply to the design, erection and verification of electrical installation, also additions and alterations to existing installations".

Adding RCBOs is an addition and/or alteration to an existing installation the way I understand this so it would need to comply with BS7671:2018 rather than the original standard at the time of the installation 20 years ago when my MCU was installed. I guess that why these electricans won't touch RCBOs in plastic units and advising new consumer units but I could be wrong.

Attachments

• BS7671 2018.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 8
Attached from BS 7671:2018.

"The regulations apply to the design, erection and verification of electrical installation, also additions and alterations to existing installations".

Adding RCBOs is an addition and/or alteration to an existing installation the way I understand this so it would need to comply with BS7671:2018 rather than the original standard at the time of the installation 20 years ago when my MCU was installed. I guess that why these electricans won't touch RCBOs in plastic units and advising new consumer units but I could be wrong.

If what you say was true then it would mean nobody could ever add an RCBO to a plastic consumer unit!

You have had good advice on this forum.

Does changing an mcb to an RCBO come under “like for like” replacement or maintenance” or is it too much of a job and becomes “an alteration or addition”?

You’re adding a protection method… much like changing a standard switch fuse to one with an rcd built in.
It is no less safe than it was before. (Not safer, just no less safe)

If what you say was true then it would mean nobody could ever add an RCBO to a plastic consumer unit!

You have had good advice on this forum.

Thanks. Yes thats what I thought as well about RCBOs. Problem is finding someone who will do this. I mean yesterday the guy told me one way is to have a metal enclosure around the front consumer unit to get around the plastic issue otherwise its a C2. I am aware some are selling bespoke metal cabinets for MCUs but is it necessary? I don't think it is as we know. Idally there should be a place where people can source electricans who can do this job. Nearly everyone just wants the bigger job of changing the whole fusebox.

I know Wylex did retrofit metal covers and being part of the same group Crabtree may well do. I have no idea if this will fit but it maybe worth asking the question.

I have just emailed Electrium to see if retrofit covers are available because the electrician who claimed to have spoken to them is incorrect to say they said RCBOs, busbars etc.... are not available.

I have just emailed Electrium to see if retrofit covers are available because the electrician who claimed to have spoken to them is incorrect to say they said RCBOs, busbars etc.... are not available.

I did this too before. Karen Sambrook is the only technical engineer who responds to emails at the moment from Electrium and she was the one who said no RCBOS and busbars are available for my unit.

I know Wylex did retrofit metal covers and being part of the same group Crabtree may well do. I have no idea if this will fit but it maybe worth asking the question.

My unit measures 365mm by 220mm sitting inside a flush mounting kit in the wall measuring 390mm by 255mm. None available for my unit.

My unit measures 365mm by 220mm sitting inside a flush mounting kit in the wall measuring 390mm by 255mm. None available for my unit.
Me personally would just fit a fusebox d/p rcbo, spd consumer unit whether it be flush or not and have done with it, especially being as it's going to be rented.

Me personally would just fit a fusebox d/p rcbo, spd consumer unit whether it be flush or not and have done with it, especially being as it's going to be rented.
It appears this is the only option I have. Attached image of the inside of my fusebox the last electrican took. He advised he would only install a MK fusebox because the incoming two grey tails are on the left and MK ones are also on the left and moving them to the right to install other brands like Fusebox where the main switch is on the right would be a difficult job to extend the tails over. On the back of the front lid cover it said part number 61418.

fusebox.jpg(

It appears this is the only option I have. Attached image of the inside of my fusebox the last electrican took. He advised he would only install a MK fusebox because the incoming two grey tails are on the left and MK ones are also on the left and moving them to the right to install other brands like Fusebox where the main switch is on the right would be a difficult job to extend the tails over. On the back of the front lid cover it said part number 61418.

View attachment 115965(
I wouldn't think extending the tails would be too difficult.

Is there a chance of renewing the tails or add an isolator ?

If it were my house, i would be tempted to make some accurate measurements and send the sketch of the new front panel to a waterjet/laser cutting company and have a replacement front cover made out of polished stainless steel with all the idents etched into it.
Last time i had something like that made for me it came under the £50 minimum order value.

If it were my house, i would be tempted to make some accurate measurements and send the sketch of the new front panel to a waterjet/laser cutting company and have a replacement front cover made out of polished stainless steel with all the idents etched into it.
Last time i had something like that made for me it came under the £50 minimum order value.
Thanks. Do you know the name of the company that does this?

last one i did, i used a company called aquajet in coventry. but there are loads of people doing that sort of thing

I don't see why any new CU (as long as the lid isn't part of the sides) couldn't ne flush mounted. It might need a bit of work, but mounting methods that come to mind include :
If it's a close fit, screws from the inside through the sides or top/bottom into the wall.
Screws through the back, may need to pack out.
A couple of bits of angle at sides or top/bottom fixrd to case then screw through that into face of wall. For bonus points, do all 4 sides and neatly mitre the corners.
So, what's the reason the CU can't be replaced and still be flush mounted ?

Hmm, nice. But being pedantic, it's no longer a type approved CU. We all know not having the maker's name stuck on the front makes s.f.a. difference - but that's the regs as written.

Hmm, nice. But being pedantic, it's no longer a type approved CU. We all know not having the maker's name stuck on the front makes s.f.a. difference - but that's the regs as written.
I think that is up to whoever is fitting it.
Can’t say it’s the right solution, can’t say it’s wrong. Just an option to consider.

However, we all know it would be great and last longer than the mcb’s behind it.

I would have did it by now with a new cu for a few hundred quid.
Wasted more than that in time Thinking about it 🤣

Reply to RCBO installtion in old MCU following EICR Report in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net