Discuss RCBOs for Schneider CU in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
The CU box is called a 'compact' and although a decent size, when an RCBO is istalled, it will fit but there is not much room at the top and those RCBOs are taller at the top. Does anyone know of another make rather than Schneider, that fit, that maker shorter RCBOs?

1644247992533.png

all that wasted space below. why did they not mount the gear lower?

solution....buy a different brand.

You'll need a new consumer unit then. The compatible rcbo is easy9. Irrelevant whether you want it or not, that's what should be fitted.

You could fit a new CU with SP+N RCBOs, for less than the price of populating that board with Easy 9 RCBOs.
The idea is to remove one RCD, keeping one, with most circuits off the one RCD and four or five RCBOs. Five RCBOs is about £130.

So, first look, RCBO - £11.94.

Fusebox make decent stuff. No real bad reports coming about them. You could have 10 RCBOs all in a new CU with and SPD for £171. So worth considering. The Schneider used for the garage.

The idea is to remove one RCD, keeping one, with most circuits off the one RCD and four or five RCBOs. Five RCBOs is about £130.

So, first look, RCBO - £11.94.

Fusebox make decent stuff. No real bad reports coming about them. You could have 10 RCBOs all in a new CU with and SPD for £171. So worth considering. The Schneider used for the garage.

It's RATM RCBOs that are SP+N. Your link is full size SP.

The idea is to remove one RCD, keeping one, with most circuits off the one RCD and four or five RCBOs.
That would be a little unusual. It sometimes happens to facilitate modifying a lighting circuit in an existing split load board, but my gut reaction is that I would either go dual-RCD or entirely RCBO for a new install. Was there any reason for that idea or was it economics?
Fusebox make decent stuff. No real bad reports coming about them
My go-to board for most domestic installs at the moment. I'm just about to go and pick one up. As above you want the shorter double pole RCBO's.
If it's a very classy house, the car on the drive is recent, clean, and had loads of tread on the tyres then I might quote for Hager....!

That would be a little unusual. It sometimes happens to facilitate modifying a lighting circuit in an existing split load board, but my gut reaction is that I would either go dual-RCD or entirely RCBO for a new install. Was there any reason for that idea or was it economics?

My go-to board for most domestic installs at the moment. I'm just about to go and pick one up. As above you want the shorter double pole RCBO's.
If it's a very classy house, the car on the drive is recent, clean, and had loads of tread on the tyres then I might quote for Hager....!

In that latter instance, I'd go with Crabtree for ease of installation.

The CU is there as the picture. Specifications have changed so it is matter of shuffling around to use most of what is there. Yes economics - use what is there, none has been used, all new. Or if more economical a new Fusebox CU.

I’m interested what you find easier if you have time to say. I used to love the Starbreaker boards with the insulated bus bar but haven’t touched Crabtree for a while now.

It's that plug in busbar - makes you wonder why more domestic boards don't go that route. Even better would be plug in busbar for both line and neutral.

It's strange how one Electrium brand (Wylex) is popular and widely available, yet Crabtree isn't so widely stocked or used. There'll be a reason for this, but it's not one that I can fathom.

It's that plug in busbar - makes you wonder why more domestic boards don't go that route.
Agree, it's very cool. I wonder if they have a patent on it.
Even better would be plug in busbar for both line and neutral.
I have an account with SBS - Trade Sales Ltd. | The Home of Bespoke Distribution Boards - https://www.sbstradesales.co.uk/ which has exactly this.

1644518046343.png

If you have a CPS number it's easy to get an account too. I love fitting them and have done a few, but always worry that they might suddenly not be there, and my reputation would suffer for not choosing a more mainstream brand with parts more readily available. They have stated they will only deal directly with the trade, which is great in a way, but again, carries a certain mystique and obscurity with it.

Agree, it's very cool. I wonder if they have a patent on it.

I have an account with SBS - Trade Sales Ltd. | The Home of Bespoke Distribution Boards - https://www.sbstradesales.co.uk/ which has exactly this.

View attachment 94935

If you have a CPS number it's easy to get an account too. I love fitting them and have done a few, but always worry that they might suddenly not be there, and my reputation would suffer for not choosing a more mainstream brand with parts more readily available. They have stated they will only deal directly with the trade, which is great in a way, but again, carries a certain mystique and obscurity with it.

I remembered about their dual busbar after posting - is it plug in as that would place them right at the top of the pile?

Can't see Crabtree having a patent on plug in busbars as other manufacturers use them in 3 phase DBs.

Reply to RCBOs for Schneider CU in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net