Discuss RCD Trips in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

My response was really got serious with this comment

Scrap the RCD all together, OK lets do that,

On the serious note why do we use Type B RCD, if you do or if you dont this is up to the installer, there are so many shades of grey in regs, so if I install a sunnyboy and the protection fails the type B RCD covers me under governing law. we can argue manufacturers guidelines supercede all other regulations but I can't really be bothered wasting a day in court to explain that. I can't really be bothered explaining to trading standards how it all works and reading manuals to them.

If it does not hinder the performance of the system then no harm done!!

Completely agree! Most on here would know that I am a proponent for the use of the DC sensitive RCDs where TL inverters are concerned.....good to get someone else's take on it.

Not sure it just says. RCCB 30ma. It's in it's own mini CU.

From memory sunny explorer usually displays residual current of 8ma never seen it change.

Last edited by a moderator:
Forgot to post the new RCD decision process as recommended in the new Guidance Note 7:
RCDs.jpg

That decision tree matches with how I see it.

A type B RCD is only required for fault protection if the inverter hasn't got means of preventing leakage of DC current onto the AC side.

Bit too simplistic if you ask me.....not entirely sure that the statement "isn't able to feed DC fault currents into the AC side of the installation" is all-encompassing or enough to satisfy all potential scenario's where DC fault currents might exist. I'll take the fifth on this for now I think....

Reply to RCD Trips in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net