Discuss removing a light switch, making it always live (UK) in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

jonnieo

DIY
Reaction score
I've replaced a light with a low energy LED bulb which is controlled wirelessly, and now want to remove the old switch so that it is always on, and I can then control it with the wireless switch. Can I just remove the switch and connect the L1 and common wires together? It's an old 1-way 1-gang dimmer switch, with an L1 and common connected to the switch (I'm in the UK). There's also a ground connected to the plate and some other wire (neutral?) that is not connected to the switch.
ACtC-3dtJ5Nf3DOwhQRXncYWiGwY3SVOW5ebzZVLJmkd0Ye_SwDUInwesrrGFvsPOj6uzeXQrgoRq7h-OuOAHl7XpSq_Ufoa_Wd4uGJh0gL6ogcyj-4qXktihzy06fngO5ySvKDv8wrguTq13Ry64Uvo9iIBqw=w692-h922-no

The two wires at the dimmer, the red and the black sleeved red need connecting together. You can either put them in the same terminal at the dimmer or remove the dimmer and fit them at a connector and fit a plastic blank plate (A metal blank plate will still need the earth connection). If a plastic plate is fitted the earth to the dimmer can be removed from the back box but leave the earth from the cable connected.

For the life of me I can't see the "some other wire, neutral?" you mention. I agree with the above but feel some trepidation in recommending anything without fully understanding what you are saying.

Ive done similar here in rooms where we have Hue lamps. Taken the S/L from L1 and shoved it in to Com with L. Easily reversible for testing or if we ever move but stops visitors (ha whats one of those these days) turning lights off there and breaking all the automated scene stuff.

Reply to removing a light switch, making it always live (UK) in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net