Discuss replace an old fuse box with a new consumer unit? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

doubletiger

Hi

I am seeking someone advice on a consumer unit. I moved into an old house about 1 year ago. There is an old fuse box board in a garage which control whole house, the electricity system in the house seems fine as it should be. But I am worrying this old style fuse box may not provide as much protection as the modem consumer unit.

here is the photo (see attached) oldfusebox3.jpg

my questions:

(1) Do I need to replace it with a new consumer unit? and why?

(2) there are 4 ways in each of fuse box, each fuse box maximum load is 60A, what specification of the consumer unit must I get?

(3) What is the best brand of consumer unit would you recommend?

(4) I am in south London, what cost would like to be for labour and all material?

thank you in advance

best regards

just wat i thought. there is an earth cable from the MET through the base board, where does that go?

The left hand consumer unit is protected by an earth leakage circuit breaker but from the photo i can't see the rating of it. It will either say 100mA or 30mA. It should be 30mA. The other C/U should have an ELCB as well. I would recommend getting an electrician to check it out for you.

best bet is get a few quotes and compare them as prices vary in different areas,no doubt some of the lads on here will advise later on tonight.

a ball park figure is around £350 - £450, but expect to pay additional if remedial work to the earthing/bonding/circuits is required. as phil said, get 2 or 3 quotes. most sparks will not charge for quoting.

Not necessarily - why do you think you do?

(2) there are 4 ways in each of fuse box, each fuse box maximum load is 60A, what specification of the consumer unit must I get?

That decision would be down to the electrician you choose and you agreeing. Personally I'd avoid the big shed "non" brands

(3) What is the best brand of consumer unit would you recommend?

Again this is down to preference - I offer 2 makes - and for those I keep spares

(4) I am in south London, what cost would like to be for labour and all material?

A fuseboard change is more than simply unscrewing the old one and fitting a new one. I'd say £375.00 + bonding plus any remedial works identified by the testing.

Please make sure you use a local registered sparky and check they will provide you with an EIC and the necessary Part P notifications

My responses above in blue

First of all - welcome doubletiger!

A few things:
1. That old style fuse board is not dangerous (visual inspections only)
2. There is a RCD installed - that needs to be tested with an RCD Tester by a qualified Electrician
3. A full inspection is fully recommended to determine the ability of the installation to operate safely
4. I personally would recommend upgrading the whole consumer unit (fuse box) with an up-to-date 17th Edition SplitBord with 2 RCDs, to protect you and your family!
5. It looks like you have a 10mm earth bonding cable going to the water/gas - this really needs to be checked to ensure this is the case - again this will protect you and your family!

Post your location on here and Im sure someone will be more than happy to assist you, you really need a visit to ensure that the installation is safe, a picture is good but as everyone else has demonstrated there are over 100 questions that needs answering which could take ages on here or 5 minuets on a home visit.

I don't think he has any problems with his bonding conductors, they look like 10mm to me and going by the age of this installation, there is a single bonding conductor to bond both water and any gas service!!!

Morduch, thank you for reply!

The reason I am considering to replace it, it is because I saw "The RCD / MCB installation is safer than the old fuse wire type installations, it will trip out in milliseconds if their is a leakage of current to earth." Consumer Unit Fitting Cost? - MoneySavingExpert.com Forums

it is true?

thanks

I don't think he has any problems with his bonding conductors, they look like 10mm to me and going by the age of this installation, there is a single bonding conductor to bond both water and any gas service!!!

Still needs checking. I have seen 10mm G/Y coming out of C/U and 10mm on to water, when i got floor boards up it was 2.5mm G/Y for 95% of the run with joint of chock blocks!

Thank you for all replys! much appreciate it. I am in South London Bromley area. Do please PM me if you are interested to give me a quote. thanks.

Morduch, thank you for reply!

The reason I am considering to replace it, it is because I saw "The RCD / MCB installation is safer than the old fuse wire type installations, it will trip out in milliseconds if their is a leakage of current to earth." Consumer Unit Fitting Cost? - MoneySavingExpert.com Forums

it is true?

thanks

Beware of the prices as they relate to 2005 dates.

Certainly a board with MCB's and RCD's WILL make you home safer.

It looks like a Hackbridge Faraday RCD, if I remember right they came as 100, 300 and 500mA. Long time since I’ve fitted them I don’t recall them making a 30mA in that style.

doubletiger watch the moneysaving comments they all seem to be talking about what I call the £250 cowboys who turn up change it over no documentation dont bother about earthing and if there is a fault sometimes they are on this forum looking for free help to fix it

Please see two additional photos
connect_gaspipe.jpgwholeboard.jpg

it is clear it bonding to gas pipe from 1st photo. I think it also bonding to water (black from bottom of board), may be yellow bonding it (behind the board)?

If it bonding to both gas and water, do I have to replace these two old fuse boxes?

thank you for advice!

That looks like you have no earth spike in the ground and are relying on the gas and water for your earth. Definitely get it checked by an electrician.

doubletiger...!

Agreed with many of the other comments, Gas Water looks Fine, Just need an Main earth Now....

as for getting quotes...! stay clear from them sites that give you 4-5 quotes, tey are a scam and SELL your details to contractors who then quote low and do a crap job!

please type your postcode in this government agency site!

Competent Persons Register | Home

this will ensure you get a registered electrician

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to replace an old fuse box with a new consumer unit? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net