Discuss replacing downlight fitting - safe? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

gne751

DIY
Reaction score
Hello all. I have this downlight where the bulb went a while ago and I replaced the bulb myself. I'd never dealt with these type of lights before so I thought the holder had to be pulled out. So I replaced the bulb but then when tried to re-insert the holder, the clips kept flying off, one flew inside the attic. I managed to get some spare clips from a lighting shop, but had the same difficulty again.
In the end bought a new fitting, not an exact match but similar - clipping mechanism is more modern.

I've put off doing it for a while but need to get it done today. Basically my question is, if I shut down electricity for my flat (there's a single lever for each flat in hallway next to fuses) is that going to guarantee I'm not going to get a shock in any way when I unplug the light, put the bulb into new holder and simply insert in ceiling. Should I unscrew the "lights" fuse as well to be safe? It seems simple to do, but am nervous with electricity and just want to double-check here in case there's anything to watch for. Original fitting is from 1970s or so I would say.

Attaching photos.

TL;DR
need to check if any safety issue before unplugging and plugging this downlight

Attachments

• IMG_20220216_114917.jpg
    258.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20220216_114924.jpg
    211.3 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
2 things you need to be aware of here.

The lamp shown is a 12v extra low voltage, so somewhere in the ceiling is a transformer to reduce the mains voltage down.
This can fail as well as the lamp, so you need to make sure it’s just the lamp that needs changed.

You also want to make sure the hole in the ceiling is the same size needed for your new holder.

Ideally, the low voltage transformer and lamp could be replaced with a GU10 mains voltage lamp holder and LED lamps… the physical size is the same.
But this really should be done by an electrician.
I can’t tell if those are LED lamps in your picture or halogen…
LED use about 1/10th of the electricity, and do not run hot like halogens.

Thanks for the reply.
The type of bulb is halogen.
The bulb itself is fine and been using it as is for a while. I just have to unplug it to put in new holder. I'm assuming that once I shut down electricity for the flat then "everything" is off!

The reason I ask I suppose is I watched another youtube vid yesterday where at the start the guy says:
1. make sure electricity shut down
2. make sure circuit is isolated (from memory, nearly sure this is what he said..)

I've no idea what #2 means or if it's needed here ? In that video he was installing an entire fitting and it was different type of light.

If you’re not sure, then by all means, shut down all the power to the house.
“Isolate” simply means switch off… but safety comes first.

Is there a round spring to keep the lamp in the fitting? Those tend to bounce out my hands and fly away, never to be seen again.

Is there a round spring to keep the lamp in the fitting? Those tend to bounce out my hands and fly away, never to be seen again.
The original holder is the same as this, except mine just had a plain wire for the spring.

New holder is more sturdy, is aluminium - attached photo. If it had been plastic I'd probably have it done by now.

Attachments

• IMG_20220216_152849.jpg
    333 KB · Views: 2

Reply to replacing downlight fitting - safe? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net