Aico Carbon Monoxide Detectors
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss rewiring existing ceiling fan with light on a 4way & 3way(separate?) in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

existing fan w/light;2switches(3&4way);can i put fan one 1 switch and light on the other switch?

So I want to be able to turn off the light and keep the fan going. I currently have to unscrew the light bulb in order to have the fan running without light. Can I have the light on one switch and the fan on the other switch?

currently, when either switch is put in the ON position the light comes on. if the fan's pull chain was in the OFF position then the fan stays still, if pulled to the low med or high position then of course it starts when either switch is put ON. However, the light doesn't have a pull chain for its own separate operation. If I'm willing to have the fan only operate at one speed, can i switch the pullchain to control the light, and the fan be the primary function controlled by the switches?

Attachments

Bulk Workwear - Clothing Suppliers for the Whole Forum Network

Megawatt

-
Arms
Advent Win
existing fan w/light;2switches(3&4way);can i put fan one 1 switch and light on the other switch?

So I want to be able to turn off the light and keep the fan going. I currently have to unscrew the light bulb in order to have the fan running without light. Can I have the light on one switch and the fan on the other switch?

currently, when either switch is put in the ON position the light comes on. if the fan's pull chain was in the OFF position then the fan stays still, if pulled to the low med or high position then of course it starts when either switch is put ON. However, the light doesn't have a pull chain for its own separate operation. If I'm willing to have the fan only operate at one speed, can i switch the pullchain to control the light, and the fan be the primary function controlled by the switches?
Sam welcome to the forum and less don’t make this to complicated to do what you want to do. To my knowledge you can go and buy new switches for your ceiling fan. What your suggestion is way to much work for a simple matter. Good luck

telectrix

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
my take on this would be to replace the light bulb with a "smart" bulb that has a remote control system. then you could turn the light on and off with the remote as and when

Reply to rewiring existing ceiling fan with light on a 4way & 3way(separate?) in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

SuperlecDirect - ElectriciansForums.net Electrical Suppliers

Select the ways in which you gain online business

• MyBuilder.com

• Federation of Master Builders

• CheckaTrade.com

• RatedPeople.com

• TrustaTrader.com

• Which? (TrustedTraders.Which.co.uk)

• MyJobQuote.co.uk

• Yell.com

• Google Paid Advertising

• Own Website with Natural Ranking (SEO'd website)

• Social Media (Facebook Twitter Instagram etc)

• Word of Mouth Only for me

Results are only viewable after voting.

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
Aico 3000 Range
Top Bottom