Discuss Running T&E in conduit in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

parm

Hi Guys,

I've been asked to do a surface mounted ring mains in a residential property, is it normal practice to leave the wires loose in the conduit or would you tie wrap them together or use something else? Thanks in advance from a newbee

Agree always leave cables untaped in conduits.

Are you really running T & E or was that a miss post. Also if you haven't done it before wiring a ring final circuit in conduit takes a bit of thinking through as you need to get your return leg back, I assume through the same outgoing conduit.

A way was pull 1st leg into 1st socket, 2nd leg into 2nd socket, 1st then to 3rd, 2nd to 4th etc using the boxes as pull throughs

As it's a residential property I'm guessing he means mini trunking for the drops???, otherwise it'll be a bit of a job pulling through conduits.

unforunately its going to be the entire ring in conduit, customer doesn't want boards up!! not looking forward to it, may see if I can suggest using slightly bigger conduit

Why would you pull T & E cables though Conduit? What about heat dissapation? The BRB states that the capacity of Trunking/Conduit should not exceed 45%.

OSG and BRB state 45% space occupancy for heat discipation for single core cable which I agree with, however running 2.5mm thorugh conduit (2legs) will give a cable factor of 143 and I was planning to ussing 50x38mm conduit which has a factor of 767. So I suppose as my calculation is not strictly speaking correct, I thought around a 20% space occupancy for T&E would be fine....happy to be corrected

As I suspected......you are referring to square/oblong mini trunking with a base and lid, as opposed to solid round conduit (pipe).

So to clarify, are you running cables through the floorspace with the vertical drops to socket outlets in surface mini trunking???

If so the usual size that is used for a drop containing 2 x 2.5mm T&E's is known as MT2 which is 25x16mm in size.

Thank you for clarifying the trunking size Lenny.........being very conservative by having larger conduit for heat discipation. Another newbee question bites the dust, thank you again

Reply to Running T&E in conduit in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net