Discuss Sacked for doing a good job? in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

[/B]

I take it from that, you charge extra for damaging a ceiling then kate
icon7.png

Charge less because it's fun hahahahha.

No I was asked to not damage any other parts of ceiling so had to take longer routes...takes longer.

Turns out they dont quibble prices...looks like they have had an issue with builder and chucked them off, I was hired by builder so they see me as in cahoots with them.
Feel so sorry for them. Since the 19th of june only work that has been done was a small piece of plasterboard. So they have had no kitchen for months.

So they have had no kitchen for months.

There is perhaps opportunity there Kate,branch out and "fit that kitchen" whilst your there

If I was to be in the trade all over from the beginning,I would become all modern and be a kitchen fitting,pipes and all, wall painting plaster boarder who does electrics as well

So they have had no kitchen for months.

There is perhaps opportunity there Kate,branch out and "fit that kitchen" whilst your there

If I was to be in the trade all over from the beginning,I would become all modern and be a kitchen fitting,pipes and all, wall painting plaster boarder who does electrics as well

Hahaha yea its an idea ;)

The plastering is holding up kitchen fitting :p could never do plastering.

Unfortunately this is all too common, i take my hat off to you for standing your ground, and trying to do a good job. It is also a sad fact that possessions (cars) come out of the company budget before safety requirements.

Had similar a long time ago, a very well known garage equipment/tool importer, got proper arsy with me for replacing a £30 battery connector on a FLT charger without asking.

In the car park MD had some big fancy sports car, and son (proper little s*** he was) was running round in an RS 500 Sierra Cosworth, which was brand new, no expense spared on their cars. Sadly (tongue in cheek) the place burned down a few years ago.

Cheers..............Howard

Hahahaha I just said that to my dad!!!! Got a customer querying my bill of 1 and a half days first fix and designing...materials AND labour £225.49!!! Chasing walls and wiring downlights without causing any damage to ceiling.

Kate you forgot to add VAT

Kate you forgot to add VAT

I didnt go VAT registered in the end. And the invoice was from back in june. I know im cheap, my business plan for this year is to sort that hahhaha. Especially after reading this thread....£400 a day. I could retire in a year ;)

Were you just there 'testing' or carrying out minor remedials as well?
By the look of it most of those items could be made to pass with a new or remade plugtop, stuffing gland etc, then you wouldn't have ended up with so many 'fails', so instead of saying "I've been really thorough so now you can't use all these items" you could say "I've been really thorough and improved the safety of all these items", which sounds a lot more positive.

Were you just there 'testing' or carrying out minor remedials as well?
By the look of it most of those items could be made to pass with a new or remade plugtop, stuffing gland etc, then you wouldn't have ended up with so many 'fails', so instead of saying "I've been really thorough so now you can't use all these items" you could say "I've been really thorough and improved the safety of all these items", which sounds a lot more positive.

I did fix the plugs and then retest but the fails were coming thick and fast, some items required complete replacement/overhaul and I would need a week to sort this place properly.
e.g. the strip light, taped block connector, split flex to iron which had been taped, missing grommet/stuff gland (which I dont carry) and the no earth return on the Jap sewing machine etc. The list was just getting started.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did fix the plugs and then retest but the fails were coming thick and fast, some items required complete replacement/overhaul and I would need a week to sort this place properly.
e.g. the strip light, taped block connector, split flex to iron which had been taped, missing grommet/stuff gland (which I dont carry) and the no earth return on the Jap sewing machine etc. The list was just getting started.
well you did what you were supposed to when inspecting and pat testing
pointing out the fails is proper procedure.
note that the repairs could be done by you or by another qualified spark
but that does not excuse them to ignore the issues at hand.
you may need to get legal assistance on this to get paid for your efforts
and in my opinion you should report them to the proper authorities.

Tiny spark your album is open to public view.....................like the G53 gat.......is it a paint ball lookalike?(assume it is looking at the other pics) the real thing is ****e hot.

Tiny spark your album is open to public view.....................like the G53 gat.......is it a paint ball lookalike?(assume it is looking at the other pics) the real thing is ****e hot.

Its a X7 Phenom paintball gun that I modeled to look like a MP5 but with a CAR stock instead of the collapsible wire one.
Its up for sale atm LOL.

Rats are for a shooting forum I am part of Kate,
Long story lol

Last edited:
Its a X7 Phenom paintball gun that I modeled to look like a MP5 but with a CAR stock instead of the collapsible wire one.
Its up for sale atm LOL.

Rats are for a shooting forum I am part of Kate,
Long story lol

Job I was on today had a major rat infestation....I thought of you :)

I thought of you in a nice way :) couldnt tell who you were from photos so have no opinion...except I think of you dressed as a COD player lol or halo.

Saves pest control fee and you must have fun doing it :)

I learned the hard way when testing.

I am half way through a void office and told the guy at he start a price per circuit, which he agreed to.
just as we'll as we found another 3 DB's went from 37 circuits to 81

as I take debit cards I took the payment for the first part of be job this week and I told him the initial results.

i make it policy to NOT tell anyone if something has passed or failed until I have finished and been paid.

i have been burnt before ( by telling people things ahead of payment) and make it clear at the start that the procedure is
1. Cost and scope sorted
2. Job done
3. Payment
4. Report
5. Remedials

I learned the hard way when testing.

I am half way through a void office and told the guy at he start a price per circuit, which he agreed to.
just as we'll as we found another 3 DB's went from 37 circuits to 81

as I take debit cards I took the payment for the first part of be job this week and I told him the initial results.

i make it policy to NOT tell anyone if something has passed or failed until I have finished and been paid.

i have been burnt before ( by telling people things ahead of payment) and make it clear at the start that the procedure is
1. Cost and scope sorted
2. Job done
3. Payment
4. Report
5. Remedials

That is a very useful tip, thanks.

Finally had a very short email reply from their accounts in response to my request for payment. It simply says they have posted a cheque and want the report/certificate for the completed work. I replied saying I send a combined report and certificate on receipt of full and cleared funds.
What made me laugh was the inclusion of the following...

'All our products are manufactured under strict Quality Procedures and all our workmanship is guaranteed for twelve months.

***** has achieved accreditation to the Contractors Health & Safety Assessment Scheme (CHAS).

The views or opinions present in this e-mail are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the company. The e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and are intended solely for the individual or entity to which they are addressed.'

Not sure if the sender has a sense of humor or it was a coded message for help, no way is this company a safe place to work. Just took a look at the CHAS website and all they appear to do is give a company a kind of 'HSE' pre qualifying accreditation for a fee. They don't actually come out and check if a company is a safe place to work, they just take your word for it. Anyway, if the the cheque bounces, assuming I get it, I think Ill give CHAS a call and let then know what I think of their 'accreditation scheme'. :cheesy:

Had a similar situation with an EICR recently. The consumer unit was upgraded in 2010 and some remedial work carried out. There were no notifications on the original certificate, but I had flagged up 31 items (11 of them C2). The customer refused to accept that It could deteriorate so much in 3 years and it was reluctant to pay for the inspection.....Obviously it wasn't tested correctly in the first place!

Reply to Sacked for doing a good job? in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net