Discuss searching for most suitable drill bit for porcelain tiles in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I need to drill holes in the tile wall for some household tasks. Therefore, I want to know exactly what type of drill bit will suit best our beautiful porcelain tiles. Because I don’t want to ruin them by using the wrong equipment.

Diamond bits and Carbide bits are the most common ones. Of the two, diamond bits look most favorite for application in porcelain tiles

What about different tips seen on the drill bits?

There are two styles; Core drill bits and blunt nose drill bits

What do you guys prefer between spearheaded and self-feed types? I heard good things about self feed ones

Besides, there are different sizes of drill bits depending on how large i want the holes to be. Which is the most recommended size?

All I am asking these because I don’t want to waste my hard earned money on something and later regret.

Which drill bits will give me most longevity?

Any suggestions I would greatly appreciate, thanks.

@Allenanupam what size of holes will you be drilling?

If just for red plugs I use cheap tile bits, and allow 1 per hole (usually get more but some porcelain tiles are worse to drill than others). As others have said go slow and keep the hammer off, cooling the bit in water can help a little. No bits will last very long be they cheap or expensive, be wary of the tip falling off as it will be hot.

Always this type. They’re the best by far. Most brands seem decent.

A bit of a pain to get started. Screwfix sell a guide with suckers on that makes it easy. Otherwise drill a hole in an off cut of plywood the same size as the drill bit and hold it against the tile till you get started.

Don’t bother with the arrow head cheap bird imo. Rubbish. You’ll struggle to do 1 hole through some porcelain whereas these will do 10+ through the same hard porcelain. A lot more through other softer porcelain tiles.

For good quality, hard porcelain tiles you will need one of those:
New-Ox Dry Diamond Tile Drill Bits-For Porcelain Granite Tile Marble Ceramic-6mm 5060359914354 | eBay - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Ox-Dry-Diamond-Tile-Drill-Bits-For-Porcelain-Granite-Tile-Marble-Ceramic-6mm-/274781869899?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

I would suggest making a guide (piece of wood with appropriate hole in it will do) if you have not used them before or practice first on scrap piece (if drilling without guide you start at 45deg angle). Those are used dry without water but needs to be cooled(dipped in water) once or twice per hole. Switch off hammer action on the drill and set speed to MAX. Don't push too hard and apply gentle circular motion to the drill. You should get 15-25 holes from one.

cheap as chips tile dril 4 or 5mm for small hole. if you want, say, a 1" hole, then stitch drill with the 4/5mm and cbip out.

or.........

1642970376384.png

The drill is not the issue here, just use a masonry tipped bit without hammers until you have drilled through the tile, then select hammer as normal.

The drill is not the issue here, just use a masonry tipped bit without hammers until you have drilled through the tile, then select hammer as normal.
hammer hammer,,,,,,oooh i love hammers.i'd do anything for love a hammer

Last edited:
Porcelain is a pain to drill. I use a glass drill bit to get the hole started, then keep alternating it with a cheapo ebay diamond drill bit until the hole is right through. Seems to work better than just using one type of drill bit. While drilling, an occasional squirt of water from a spray bottle helps keep the bit from overheating.

Whatever bit you use, it boils down to:
1 - not slipping/sliding about when starting, until there is enough material removed for the web of the drill bit to sit in.
2 - going extra gently until the bit is through the glaze
3 - continuing to go gently and allowing swarf to clear so the bit doesn't jam and crack the tile

Try and find an old tile to practise on. The same technique works on mirror glass btw.

I had a job last year, asked to fit a glazed screen to a fancy tiled shower area. Why the client didn't get the tiler to do it seems to be simply that the screen arrived too late.
i thought this would be a doodle, and gave up after barely scratching the tile on the first hole.
I looked at the perfect 16mm holes for the pipework and phoned the tiler...he said they did them in the workshop with a massive fixed drill with diamond cutter, which works automatically...put the tile in the machine, center the cutter and go for lunch!
He pointed me at this
https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/marcrist-pg750x-dry-diamond-tile-drill-bit-7-x/72516
It took a long time drilling 5 screw-holes, but it worked...starting at 45 degrees and "feeding" the bit in. I have never come across such hard tiles!
However, I have used that same bit on softer tiles and it just eases through, with occasional dipping of the bit in a glass of water, and it's still working well.

I had a job last year, asked to fit a glazed screen to a fancy tiled shower area. Why the client didn't get the tiler to do it seems to be simply that the screen arrived too late.
i thought this would be a doodle, and gave up after barely scratching the tile on the first hole.
I looked at the perfect 16mm holes for the pipework and phoned the tiler...he said they did them in the workshop with a massive fixed drill with diamond cutter, which works automatically...put the tile in the machine, center the cutter and go for lunch!
He pointed me at this
https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/marcrist-pg750x-dry-diamond-tile-drill-bit-7-x/72516
It took a long time drilling 5 screw-holes, but it worked...starting at 45 degrees and "feeding" the bit in. I have never come across such hard tiles!
However, I have used that same bit on softer tiles and it just eases through, with occasional dipping of the bit in a glass of water, and it's still working well.
These are the same type as I linked to above. Marcrist are a market leader and very good, but in my experience the toolstation/screwfix ones are nearly as good and a lot cheaper

Go in any decent tile shop and get a Rubi diamond bit that attaches to ya angle grinder, that’s all I use for tiles now days and you’ll do holes in seconds……not for the faint hearted starting a hole 😂

Last edited:

Reply to searching for most suitable drill bit for porcelain tiles in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net