Discuss Shower (room) questions in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

pncomms

Right you reg's experts - ive pawed through mine and can't come up with an answer I am happy with. I have a shower/utility room, with a fixed cubicle shower with basin. First question: Can I run the (IP) rated shower cubicle light and ventilator fan from the ceiling isolator via an FCU, so that they both come on when the pull cord is operated. The room has a separate pull cord for the normal lights but I don't want to shower light/fan to run when this is used. Apparently the on site guide says a water heater of more than so many litres HAS to be on it's own circuit but ive got the NIC version and there is nothing in that about it, and a shower ain't really a water heater as such is it? Obviously the shower light and fan would be off the same circuit as the shower, via the FCU. Is this allowed? Second question: I have a freezer and washing machine outside zone 2 but less than 3 meters from zone 1. The clearly regs say you cannot have a socket outlet less than 3M from zone 1, obviously, but my NIC on-site guide says you can have stationary equipment such as washing machines beyond zone 2 supplied by a socket outlet or FCU??? How's that work then? It is implying that they can be beyond zone 2 not 3M from zone 1, and fed from a socket (page 191 for anyone with the NIC on-site guide). I would use an FCU anyway but am confused.
Any suggestions?

Right you reg's experts - ive pawed through mine and can't come up with an answer I am happy with. I have a shower/utility room, with a fixed cubicle shower with basin. First question: Can I run the (IP) rated shower cubicle light and ventilator fan from the ceiling isolator via an FCU , so that they both come on when the pull cord is operated. The room has a separate pull cord for the normal lights but I don't want to shower light/fan to run when this is used. Apparently the on site guide says a water heater of more than so many litres HAS to be on it's own circuit but ive got the NIC version and there is nothing in that about it, and a shower ain't really a water heater as such is it? Obviously the shower light and fan would be off the same circuit as the shower, via the FCU. Is this allowed? Second question: I have a freezer and washing machine outside zone 2 but less than 3 meters from zone 1. The clearly regs say you cannot have a socket outlet less than 3M from zone 1, obviously, but my NIC on-site guide says you can have stationary equipment such as washing machines beyond zone 2 supplied by a socket outlet or FCU??? How's that work then? It is implying that they can be beyond zone 2 not 3M from zone 1, and fed from a socket (page 191 for anyone with the NIC on-site guide). I would use an FCU anyway but am confused.
Any suggestions?

Nothing wrong with a light and fan being switched separately from other lights.

Re the FCU off the dedicated shower circuit - exactly how do you anticipate getting 2 x 6mm into a FCU?

put fan on it's own pull cord, independent of the lights. simplesss.

was a thread last week about feeding a fan from a shower. read that. it's several pages long.

I was planning on using an approved junction box to take another 6mm spliced from the load side of the isolator to the FCU. This will be located in an accessible location for I&T. What exactly is the problem with that?

go into search window at top right of page and type in fan on shower.

I was planning on using an approved junction box to take another 6mm spliced from the load side of the isolator to the FCU. This will be located in an accessible location for I&T. What exactly is the problem with that?

Why not simply take the fan/light feed off the light circuit? Talk about making things difficult for yourself

pull switch for light. pull switch for fan. big pull switch for shower ... sorted.

The problem, is that it looks ****. And has been mentioned before, they will get left on. Can everyone take the emotion out of this and tell me why it is either dangerous or "crappy" to split the load side of the shower isolator with an approved junction box and run the resulting 6mm to an FCU and then onto the light/fan. If this junction box is in an accessible location for I&T why is it a problem? Where in the reg's is it not allowed?? I take the argument that the less joints the better but as long as the job is done properly I fail to see why it is a fire or any other risk.

"second question: I have a freezer and washing machine outside zone 2 but less than 3 meters from zone 1. The clearly regs say you cannot have a socket outlet less than 3M from zone 1, obviously, but my NIC on-site guide says you can have stationary equipment such as washing machines beyond zone 2 supplied by a socket outlet or FCU??? How's that work then? It is implying that they can be beyond zone 2 not 3M from zone 1, and fed from a socket (page 191 for anyone with the NIC on-site guide). I would use an FCU anyway but am confused.
Any suggestions?"

wire straight into an fcu or just a flex outlet ? if its plugged in its not stationary if its wired in, its not moving.

"second question: I have a freezer and washing machine outside zone 2 but less than 3 meters from zone 1. The clearly regs say you cannot have a socket outlet less than 3M from zone 1, obviously, but my NIC on-site guide says you can have stationary equipment such as washing machines beyond zone 2 supplied by a socket outlet or FCU??? How's that work then? It is implying that they can be beyond zone 2 not 3M from zone 1, and fed from a socket (page 191 for anyone with the NIC on-site guide). I would use an FCU anyway but am confused.
Any suggestions?"

wire straight into an fcu or just a flex outlet ? if its plugged in its not stationary if its wired in, its not moving.
I take your point about wired in being def stationary, but the guide specifically says via a socket outlet or FCU. Are the NIC wrong then??

the appliances may be 3m. if a socket is used as opposed to a FCU.

Reply to Shower (room) questions in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net