Discuss Skoda fabia MK1 windows not working in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi there my Skoda fabia MK1 2005 hasn't had working electronic windows for months, I've replaced the drivers motor, checked wiring between a frame and door, replaced window switch, windows work if I unlock the car with the key in the door (for about 10-20mins then stop) but do not work if I unlock with the buttons, haven't a clue anymore what could be causing it. Any help appreciated.

Are you saying the windows don't work with the ignition on and the car running?
The windows don't work at all unless I reset power to them or open the car with the key physically in the door, rather than the buttons to unlock, this makes them work for about 10mins then they stop working again and won't work at all until I reset power to them or lock/unlock the car from the outside door barrel again, it's an odd one.

Up to about 20 or so years ago, when you operated a switch in a car, that switch was either connected to what it operates directly, or via a simple relay. That switch would control what it was supposed to, and usually have no control whatsoever of anything else in the car.
Since that time, the electrical items in a car have been increasingly controlled by a computer, known as something like a 'body control module', and all the switches do is to send a request to the computer. This allows all kinds of interactions between different systems, which we have come to expect, but unfortunately means that when thing go wrong, the fault finding procedures that the OP used, don't tend to work anymore.

in other words, might be advisable to get the system diagnostics at work. might find a fault code in the ECUto help trace the fault.

Sorry, still not clear. What did you mean by "reset power to them"

On the cars I've had, the windows don't work after you use the remote to unlock the car. You have to switch the ignition on and then they work. But if you switch the ignition off again straight away, you get a period of grace, 5 or 10 mins, when the windows work, and after that they stop working. At least that's how some cars are designed.

So much of what you describe seems normal behaviour to me. Obviously if they don't work while you're driving along there's a problem!

I
Up to about 20 or so years ago, when you operated a switch in a car, that switch was either connected to what it operates directly, or via a simple relay. That switch would control what it was supposed to, and usually have no control whatsoever of anything else in the car.
Since that time, the electrical items in a car have been increasingly controlled by a computer, known as something like a 'body control module', and all the switches do is to send a request to the computer. This allows all kinds of interactions between different systems, which we have come to expect, but unfortunately means that when thing go wrong, the fault finding procedures that the OP used, don't tend to work anymore.
I agree with you on that it's overcomplicated for such a simple action, give me a wind up window any day haha.

Seems to be a common problem! Various suggestions if you haven't seen them already

Seems to be a common problem! Various suggestions if you haven't seen them already
Yes seems that way unfortunately, thanks for the link I've already read literally any and all forums etc for the issue that's why I've now posted myself as they didn't get me anywhere checked everything I've been told to check and I'm an AC engineer by trade so used my own thought process and stuff to check certain things, still no joy apart from getting it to work for 10mins which is odd as hell.

Reading that thread gives me a complete lack of confidence in Skoda electrical systems!

Reading that thread gives me a complete lack of confidence in Skoda electrical systems!
To be fair most problems like this are people tinkering with them that do not know what they are doing . It is easy to destroy a system by putting a 12v to a 2.5 5v circuit .
My best mate ran a fleet of Skoda Taxis for years with very little trouble from them . Most of them had well over 500,000 miles on them , one had just short of 1 million miles on it before it was taken out of service on age restriction imposed by the local authority.
He also had a dealership garage and he had a strict servicing routine.
The one taken out of service was bought by on of his lads and served him for five years.
Skoda's are basically VW.

To be fair most problems like this are people tinkering with them that do not know what they are doing . It is easy to destroy a system by putting a 12v to a 2.5 5v circuit .
My best mate ran a fleet of Skoda Taxis for years with very little trouble from them . Most of them had well over 500,000 miles on them , one had just short of 1 million miles on it before it was taken out of service on age restriction imposed by the local authority.
He also had a dealership garage and he had a strict servicing routine.
The one taken out of service was bought by on of his lads and served him for five years.
Skoda's are basically VW.

True, they do seem very reliable cars. Loads of people use them as taxis it seems.

Nearly a million miles - that's really impressive that. I thought my old Mondeo did well - that got to 200,000 and was still going strong when I sold it.

Yes they are . They were all well serviced using the correct good quality oil . The days are long gone of just putting any bog standard oils in vehicles.
Most of the fleet the engines and running gear never got the chance to cool down.

Yes they are . They were all well serviced using the correct good quality oil . The days are long gone of just putting any bog standard oils in vehicles.
Most of the fleet the engines and running gear never got the chance to cool down.

That was something my dad (who was a car mechanic) always used to drill into me - regular oil and filter changes will keep most engines going for many many years.

That was something my dad (who was a car mechanic) always used to drill into me - regular oil and filter changes will keep most engines going for many many years.
Essential really . I used to work on a fleet of Caterpillar Dump trucks , Oil samples were sent away regularly to monitor the quality of the oils for contamination and breakdown. It saved unexpected down time.

Hi there my Skoda fabia MK1 2005 hasn't had working electronic windows for months, I've replaced the drivers motor, checked wiring between a frame and door, replaced window switch, windows work if I unlock the car with the key in the door (for about 10-20mins then stop) but do not work if I unlock with the buttons, haven't a clue anymore what could be causing it. Any help appreciated.

I have the exact same problem with skoda fabia mk1 .however the windows used to work in summer but never winter, not at all now,…..(i have also changed the motor checked all wires fuses etc) if the alarm activated by the key in door they would work, (i would also hear an extra click when locking or un locking when they worked) iv read that in Audis this happens because of the door lock micro switch not working and the extra click is the windows locking.
I just womdered if you managed to fix the problem and if it could be this before i destroy my door 😂

Reply to Skoda fabia MK1 windows not working in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net