Discuss Socket with slimest back connections? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi, The walls have been chased out and he fitted 25mm back boxes and to be fair you can't really go any deeper but one socket on a ring is feeding a spur so three cables and yes you can fit it in but really id like a bit more room.

Are there any sockets that have very thin connections on the back?
Thanks

is the socket one of those awful flat plate abortions. these need deeper boxs, usually 35mm.

Hi, thanks for your reply :)

At first he wanted a USB socket he bought but there was no way that was going to fit, the current socket I'd say the connection on the back are protruding about normal. What I'm wondering if anything exists with very slim connections on the back.

BG USB sockets will fit on a 25mm back box, although some care with dressing 3 cables would help.

The problem I had with the previous USB socket is it didn't have that notch at the bottom where the cables enter the box.

IMG_20230227_170144.jpg

I'm probably being a bit picky but if anything exists thinner than the two pictured above that would be great.

I hate the USB sockets . `Unless they are a lot better , i have heard too many stories of them not be safe enough for charging ??

In what way unsafe?

Where have you heard the stories?
Mobile phone forums etc etc . Something about many of them not having much of a safety regulator etc built into them .many people saying use a plug in charger is far safer for the protection of the item been charged etc ??

I think the usb charger thing was down to poor quality products, which includes the socket outlet, not just the usb charger, if I recall. I would use electrical accessories from a reputable manufacturer, then the usb charger shouldn’t be a problem.

I’ve also used those spacers before in such circumstances. If I recall, they were a bit fiddly to fit, but did the trick. Obviously need pairing with the socket manufacturer.

Mobile phone forums etc etc . Something about many of them not having much of a safety regulator etc built into them .many people saying use a plug in charger is far safer for the protection of the item been charged etc ??

You are much more likely to have issues with cheap/counterfeit plug-in chargers than decent quality USB sockets.

I think, as with everything, if a low quality one is used then there may be problems. But the same is true of plug in chargers too.

it does seem a bit dodgy - the transformer malfunctions fine the MCB trips but on a ring there is also a broken leg and 32A MCB = fry time.

Anyway thanks guys for your help. Not been on here for ages. Nice to see some regular faces who always have the best advice :)

it does seem a bit dodgy - the transformer malfunctions fine the MCB trips but on a ring there is also a broken leg and 32A MCB = fry time.

Anyway thanks guys for your help. Not been on here for ages. Nice to see some regular faces who always have the best advice :)

It wouldn't break the ring leg if the USB Socket fails though.

Reply to Socket with slimest back connections? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net