Discuss Some advice please on a Steam press in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

carlos54321

hi all,

i have a small steam press (sorry wife has a steam press:) inside the lid of the plate it has a thermal fuse which i have replaced and is fine, but it also has a diode this is for the steam,so i think when it come's to temp it activates the diode which then i turn allows you to have steam (or should i say water is allowed to go to the plate that is hot to create steam)

this diode has no markings its clear glass with like a bit of solder in the middle what im needing to know is this a silicon diode or aZener diode.

if you need photos or info to help me no worry's im just hoping someone might know off the top there heads.

thankyou :)

doesn't sound like a diode to me.post a pic.

hi all have a small steam press (sorry wife has a steam press:) inside the lid of the plate it has a thermal fuse which i have replaced and is fine, but it also has a diode this is for the steam,so i think when it come's to temp it activates the diode which then i turn allows you to have steam (or should i say water is allowed to go to the plate that is hot to create steam)

this diode has no markings its clear glass with like a bit of solder in the middle what im needing to know is this a silicon diode or aZener diode.

if you need photos or info to help me no worry's im just hoping someone might know off the top there heads.

thankyou :)
Are you sure its a diode and not a power on neon lamp ???

Not sounding very diodey to me either. Sounds a bit fusey though. Let's see it...

i'm thinking neon or thermal overload.

it's an appliance, tony. he's not going to be doing any sparks out of work, is he?

it's an appliance, tony. he's not going to be doing any sparks out of work, is he?

Lol no at all, im doing it so i dont get ear ache any more

well i dont have the diode here anymore as i think it may have been thrown not by me i must add

but i do have a photo of one that looks like it

1N4148.jpg.png

but the one that came out had no lines or writing on and im sure the gap in the middle where it looks like solder, was slightly wider. i know not much help losing the one that came out and i know there must be millions of these things.

i do have 2 more photos dont know if there'll help at all

Capture1.PNG this one is where it is located on the inside of the plate under the lid

Capture 2.PNGthis is where it plugs in on the mainboard

image_1.jpg and steam press sorry small image :(

thanks again for any help/advice

Last edited by a moderator:
If it connected back to the board separately, I would guess it was a bead thermistor. There are, as you say, many things that look similar, and with the wrong one the appliance might simply go up in smoke or not make any steam. There's little point guessing, contact the makers and ask if they can supply one.

thankyou, i found this which looks it could be the same part its listed as
Iron Socket & Neon Assembly

Manufactured by Kenwood (ie what the iron press is)

i know my photo it goes to the board and in this photo it goes to the plug but then my board i think is only 12v Capture12.PNG

i looked up neon diode but got light bulbs so im taking it these are called something else ?
Edit that think im wrong :(

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    58.4 KB · Views: 10
think what this is is just some thing to say once up to heat the button can be used to start the small pump under the press to bring water to the plate.

A diode is a diode, a neon is a neon, there are 250,000 components in my big catalogue and many of them look the same. If it was a neon, it probably wouldn't have stopped the thing working. If it was a diode, it probably would have been soldered to the board. Stop faffing around and consult the service data for the correct part number.

I agree fella thankyou, but in this vast expanse of a website i thought id join and ask in case someone knew something about steam presses :( but thankyou for you input

Reply to Some advice please on a Steam press in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net