Discuss Split Load Consumer Unit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

gremlin

DIY
Reaction score
Looking to change the small consumer unit in my garage with a Hager Split Load Consumer Unit Complete with: 2x 100A Type a RCDs x 100A DP main switch. Reason I will have an EV charger fitted later in the year. One side of the split for the garage and the other side for the EV charger at a later date. There is a Hager Split Load Consumer Unit in the house with a B32 MCB, connected by an think a 6m SWA cable the garage house is 100amp rated, I am open to your suggestions, gremlin

Don't bother with split load, just use an RCBO board. However if the supply circuit is already RCD protected then you could just use MCBs.

But as you're planning on an EVCP you need to be aware of the requirements for specific types of RCD and have the correct one for the charger.

In this case I would recommend you employ an electrician as this is not only notifiable work there's also a lot of considerations such as DC currents from the ECVP blinding the RCD potentially causing it to not operate when needed the most.

Don't bother with split load, just use an RCBO board. However if the supply circuit is already RCD protected then you could just use MCBs.

But as you're planning on an EVCP you need to be aware of the requirements for specific types of RCD and have the correct one for the charger.

In this case I would recommend you employ an electrician as this is not only notifiable work there's also a lot of considerations such as DC currents from the ECVP blinding the RCD potentially causing it to not operate when needed the most.

Thanks Strima
I appreciate all your help? The RCBO board sounds the best choice. As the consumer unit and the MCBs RCDs and main switch are all Hager in the house, do you think I should use a Hager RCBO and MCBs etc. in the garage? What about a Hager Type 2 Consumer Unit Surge Protection Kit is that a good thing, bearing in mind the EV charger to be fitted later in the year, as there is no room in the house consumer unit.

Thanks again for your professional advice gremlin

PS yes I will employ an electrician

I'd say it's definitely worth consulting an electrician who installs EV points at this stage, as it may save you having to change things in a few months.

As already mentioned, RCD types will be important. But also depending on the charger you go for and the existing load in the garage, 32A may not be adequate for the supply - and whether it can be upgraded will depend on route/length/size of the armoured cable. It may even be that it makes more sense to run a separate feed for the charger when the time comes, but that is something that a good electrician can look at and advise on,.

Hager is a good brand so always a good choice, although a separate Consumer unit doesn't need to match what is there already other than for aesthetic reasons. It may be that size and availability, or even the preference of the installer may play a factor in what is chosen.

A board with RCBOs for existing circuits and space to add suitable RCD protection for the charger does seem like the most likely suitable option from what you've told us.

A Surge protection kit is a sensible addition generally (and necessary in many cases without specifically deciding against it) - however, it usually needs to be within a short distance of the source of the installation to protect it (they can go in a separate enclosure beside the consumer unit or before it). There are types that can be installed at sub boards to protect those loads only, but they usually work in conjunction with one at the source.

Getting a suitable electrician at this stage should help identify ways to do what you need now and allow for the future, with the minimum necessary expense...

I'd say it's definitely worth consulting an electrician who installs EV points at this stage, as it may save you having to change things in a few months.

As already mentioned, RCD types will be important. But also depending on the charger you go for and the existing load in the garage, 32A may not be adequate for the supply - and whether it can be upgraded will depend on route/length/size of the armoured cable. It may even be that it makes more sense to run a separate feed for the charger when the time comes, but that is something that a good electrician can look at and advise on,.

Hager is a good brand so always a good choice, although a separate Consumer unit doesn't need to match what is there already other than for aesthetic reasons. It may be that size and availability, or even the preference of the installer may play a factor in what is chosen.

A board with RCBOs for existing circuits and space to add suitable RCD protection for the charger does seem like the most likely suitable option from what you've told us.

A Surge protection kit is a sensible addition generally (and necessary in many cases without specifically deciding against it) - however, it usually needs to be within a short distance of the source of the installation to protect it (they can go in a separate enclosure beside the consumer unit or before it). There are types that can be installed at sub boards to protect those loads only, but they usually work in conjunction with one at the source.

Getting a suitable electrician at this stage should help identify ways to do what you need now and allow for the future, with the minimum necessary expense...

re. EV chargers.just seen ad. for hyundai says quick part charge for XX miles on a 350kW charger. WTF?

Looking to change the small consumer unit in my garage with a Hager Split Load Consumer Unit Complete with: 2x 100A Type a RCDs x 100A DP main switch. Reason I will have an EV charger fitted later in the year. One side of the split for the garage and the other side for the EV charger at a later date. There is a Hager Split Load Consumer Unit in the house with a B32 MCB, connected by an think a 6m SWA cable the garage house is 100amp rated, I am open to your suggestions, gremlin

Reply to Split Load Consumer Unit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net