Discuss sub mains in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
hey guys,

i have to wire 17 new bungalows soon,the DNO meter is in a cupboard about 10 m from the consumer unit. Normally i would just have a 16mm swa suub main with an 80a fuse. trouble is the insulation covering it will be >100mm.reference method 101.my question is what is the current carrying capacity in this case? really dont want to use 25mm if i can help it.

are you sure the "insulation" is of such a low conductivity that the regulation applies? a lot of loft insulation is so poor that you don't have to derate any cables. its a very grey area and difficult to get conclusive data on but it may be worth doing the research in your case.

im pretty sure it will be the bog standard rock wool stuff all builders seem to use nowadays.i was going to cleet it directly to a joist and tell the site agent to keep the insulation away from it but you know what other trades are like.maybe if i ducted it across the loft space?

101 is for twin & earth
Without getting too involved, I would think that with thermal & grouping factors & volt drop you will need at least 25mm.

Reply to sub mains in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

I’m running wires to the basement for future basement finishing. I’d like to add two circuits of outlets (one on the finished side and one on the...
Replies
Views
Had UKPN come out to a property recently to upgrade the main fuse from 60A to 100A but when they arrived they said that the supply cable which he...
Replies
Views
Joining niceic and doing a sub main to a garage off a tns earthing arrangement using 6mm Swa. The question is I have 25mm tails on 100a main fuse...
Replies
Views
Good morning all, long time reader first time post so looking for some help I’m qualified as an electrician but haven’t worked as a sparky for...
Replies
Views
Hi there, long time lurker, first time poster here. Straight down to it.. A friend asked me to add some sockets and additional lights to a small...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock