Discuss Suitable Training for CCTV installers in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

shefbengal

Trainee
Reaction score
Hi

First post so please be gentle !

I'm a 46 year old who is looking to start with IP based CCTV installations working for myself.

I don't have any formal electrical training however do have IT / networking experience and also served a number of years in the Police.

I'm just wondering is there any recommended training course for demonstrating the required competence to install a socket extension to an existing circuit - i.e no work in special zones. Possibly places like lofts etc where a NVR may be located?

Unlike others, I'm not looking to become a fully qualified electrician - I'm wondering whether its worth studying the 18th edition (perhaps taking the exam) plus a practical course from a provider? I just can't see how going the full qual route for someone my age would be worth it - and having to spend two years working as a mate etc.

Initial research indicates the process for installing an additional socket to an existing circuit would involve
  • testing the existing circuit prior,
  • checking RCD protection in place,
installing socket to meet BS7671
and issuing a minor works certificate with test results.

Oh - and if in doubt get a qualified electrician in on the job!

I'm hoping there will be a way to achieve this - presumably this type of work is undertaken by alarm installers all the time?

Thanks

I think a short course would possibly suit you well.
it should give you an overview of the regulations and let’s face it, for what you are doing you don’t need to know it all.

as for regs. you can install your extra socket provided that you are "competent" to do so. there is no set in stone qualification needed. however, you should be able to test and issue a MWC in accordance with BS7671.

Thanks both.

tra socket provided that you are "competent" to do so. there is no set in stone qualification needed. however, you should be able to test and issue a MWC in accordance with BS76

Are there any particular practical courses that your members speak highly of ? Without mentioning any names, I get the impression that there are certain training providers stretching the truth / realities of what a given course will achieve!

So it sounds like perhaps a good starting point for me would be

18th Edition and exam.
Practical course covering basic installations - which I assume is pretty much bread and butter in your profession?
A course on testing.

- maybe even offer some free weekend work for a local sparky to pick up experience.

Just trying to approach this whole thing sensibly :)

Reply to Suitable Training for CCTV installers in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net