Discuss switching problem in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

John marsden

Hi all, im wondering if anybody could give me a bit of guidance, im doing a bit of wiring for lights in a new bathroom. this is were im up to.

Feed direct to 2 gang switch outside bathroom
switch one will feed 6 spots and a fan
switch two will feed a light on a large mirror which isn't switched and a ambient strip light around the edge of the ceiling.

As i think it would be good for the strip light to come on with spots as well as the mirror as the mirror would probably not be used if the spots where on,what if any are me options for wiring? At the minuet everything i have drawn out i would be getting back feed, would relays be an option?

Thanks

Thanks for the reply Johnmdc, im going to be using a joint box in the attic for the strip light and the mirror so even using that switch would that not still cause the mirror to switch on as it will still be a live feed and its already got a neutral? i need to some how have the spots and strip light to come on at the same time but then when the mirror is being used the strip light come on as well.

thanks

Leesparkykent probably has the easiest answer but I think Johnmdc means an arrangement like this diagram:
View attachment 29173
So long as your "joint box" keeps the lines separate it should work.

Thanks for the diagram Richard , Thats probably my best option but it may just be me but i cant find any 2 gang double pole switches that are just a normal switch plate, do you know if such thing exists?

Thanks again

You can use the click switch modules in a two aperture face plate.

However if you have already run the cable such that you only have two cables leaving the switch to go to lights meaning you cannot use a three gang switch then you would not be able to implement this solution either.

You can use the click switch modules in a two aperture face plate.

However if you have already run the cable such that you only have two cables leaving the switch to go to lights meaning you cannot use a three gang switch then you would not be able to implement this solution either.

Unfortunately i have already run the cable, never mind they will just have to keep to the original plan.

Thanks for your help guys, much appreciated

Reply to switching problem in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net