Search for tools and product advice,

Discuss Tell us about your faults! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

What about IR results?

Yes I knew someone would ask this, I realized I hadn't put it in my paragraph. To be perfectly honest, I know I should have performed them, but it was all ok on the old board, I know I shouldn't asume. I did a ZS from one of the sockets and it is testing back to the source. So the earth is working correctly. I have spoken the owner who informs me there was a flood from the dishwasher, which ended up exiting a socket which blew everything years ago????? Or it could be this or it could be that when this happened.....I seem to have opened a can of worms, I will have to test every leg on the first floor ring. Busy times ahead.....

Had someone call me about outside lights tripping when switched on, opens up all the brick lights, and find slime and all damp and ballasts corroded,. I disconnect all lights and test circuit from switched output, all clear. Reconnect one light at a time and still trips on every light. Finally open up CU and its a split load, the lights are on rcd switch side but neutral is connected to main side. Reterminate neutral to rcd neutral bar and circuit stays on, hooray! Reconnect all the lights one by one after cleaning them and find 2 faulty that trip so replace with new fittings and jobs a gooden! Still felt a --- for not checking db first!

Re: Tell us about your faults !

This is quite a frequent fault... Go to the customers house and they say they tried changing a bulb but pendant still doesn't work. You have a look, it's an edison screw fitting and the neutral makes no connection to the lamp... Get your screwdriver out bend the copper to make a connection, job done :wink5:

09102012080s.jpg
fuse box installed by so called electrician who does not bother with tightening terminals properly... :(

Changed a cu today, On testing of the rings up and down.. end to end ground floor. R1 0.53 Rn 0.53 R2 0.79....first floor R1 0.54 Rn 0.53 R2 0.83..... Both rings were fine on the old rewireable DB. The ground floor ring is fine on the RCD, but the first floor trips, after testing it appears to be a fault between neutral and earth, I tried with just the live and neutral wired. no trip.....plugged in a tester and all three lights come on, I was expecting two lights suggesting no earth. the house has had four extensions over the years and it's a right balls up with sockets on the ground floor in the SNUG on the first floor ring. In one of the bedrooms upstairs in an extension there are two double sockets and one of these is a spur from the ground floor ring.......
Over the weekend I'm going to have to try and find this fault, and try and find where the earth is coming from.....Does anyone have any suggestions. ?????
If you have a n/e short, when you disconnected the cpc in the cu and tested with three light tester, it'll test ok, as its sensing earth via n/e short

Ok, the earth wires, (sorry circuit protection conductors) should have connectors on them, but other than that, where is the fault? This looks like it was installed in the early seventies, and has been working safely and efficiently since then. remember, 90% of the uk housing stock is wired exactly like this, and they aren't burning down or killing people.

Come on trev, we know that black isnt the neutral anymore :59:

tell that to last retired electrician who's work i had to put right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! brown black grey blue mm black looks like neutral ahh thats it red yelow blue!!!!!!!! we all new it would happen and lucky me had 25amps up the pipe line !!
moral of the story dont take nothing for granted

Re: Tell us about your faults !

I knew customer needed a 3ph socket installing, but he said he had already promised the job to someone else. Six weeks later, it finally got installed. I had a quick shufty today because have not seen the inside of one of these before, and noticed the interesting choice of earth link between the isolator switch above the unit and the socket itself.
3ph socket1.jpg

Just trawled throught the 1,100+ posts in this rogue's gallery with great amusement. But the one above, from 2 years ago, stands out because everyone comments on the dodgy CPC wiring. But nobody seems to have seen anything at all untoward about this TP&N commando having being wired without a neutral!
:nono:

I'll put my hands up for that one, Shunter, well spotted. It was my original post and I never clocked about the missing neutral. I do know that the only 3ph equipment they plug in (a steam cleaner) does not need a neutral, but that is no excuse. It also means that the steam cleaner has the wrong plug on.

I had no earth at a double socket once, when checking my values with my MFT scratching my head, i was completely baffled as I had run the new circuit.

Turned out to be a missing peice of the earth bar on the Click Polar range socket i used.
My fault for not checking it visually hah

Had to change a load of sockets in a customers house to chrome ones a year or so ago, isolated the downstairs ring and checked with tester and it was still live, isolated the upstairs and kitchen ring and was still live?? With no more socket circuits left on the cu i turned the whole board of at the main switch and it was still live. So I took the cover off and the ring main had been connected into the top of the main switch with the tails! I tested the circuit and there was a nuetral to earth fault on it so instead of finding the fault they just took the rcd and the mcb out of the equation. Dont know how somebody can walk away and leave something like that!
Ross

went to a nightclub once. they wouldn't let me in without a tie. " go see if you've got one in the car" says the head bouncer. all i could find in the car was my jump leads, so i put these round my neck. bouncer says " yoiu can come in now, but don't start anything"

Reply to Tell us about your faults! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net