Discuss Testing problems need a little help. in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Thats why we isolate first and if it is live we have testers that highlight the fact that we are doing something wrong with the readings.
No more dangerous than plugging something in. you are protected by insulation.

I joined this forum to learn off people who have the knowledge that I need to gain. But half the time instead of getting advice and explanations to help me do things right, all I get is comments that really serve no purpose.

Its like the earthing systems. I do know that a TT system is a TNS and a TNCS is and the differences. and I do know how to test but unfortunately you learn on a board and then when you see things in the real world its totally different.
so everyone out there. All I am trying to do is learn, and I still stick by that you can test in the wrong way and still stay safe

Fair comment, but the ZE test is not a dead test as you know - even though you have practiced safe isolation, its dangerous, you are using a live line arn't you. Plugging something in - you are protected. I think if you were asking them about a real dead test you may get more advise that you feel constructive.
What about the idea I mentioned of posting a picture up here?
Or can you email your instructor?
Kind Regards, David

Thankyou for your reply. Cant really put up picture as no camera.
But to explain there are two cables that enter the house.
one goes into the top of the 100amp isolator owned by distribution network. The other cable goes int a small black box which is made by henley and its a series 7

im sorry to hear you feel some comments are not constructive, but had we been commenting on this post prior to you passing the 2392 you may have had a different outcome.
you are classed as competent to test an installation by successfully completing the 2392 so i would suggest you read through your original post and answers to see if you feel you come across as competent.
good luck with your future testing

im sorry to hear you feel some comments are not constructive, but had we been commenting on this post prior to you passing the 2392 you may have had a different outcome.
you are classed as competent to test an installation by successfully completing the 2392 so i would suggest you read through your original post and answers to see if you feel you come across as competent.
good luck with your future testing

2392 is a very watered down version of the 2391 and is only single phase (so I understand). Surely he must have done a practical and passed, so it just shows you how good are these institutions at eliminating people who just aren't confident testing???

Last edited by a moderator:
That is a little unfair. There is an old saying if you don't use it, you soon loose it.
Hence the reason I am on this forum because like I said before there is one thing when your testing on a nicely laid out board, and then testing on a real system.
It seems like some of the people on this forum just make snide comments, and probably because they don't know the answers.

That is a little unfair. There is an old saying if you don't use it, you soon loose it.
Hence the reason I am on this forum because like I said before there is one thing when your testing on a nicely laid out board, and then testing on a real system.
It seems like some of the people on this forum just make snide comments, and probably because they don't know the answers.

now that is very unfair. your nicely laid out board would still have had tails coming from the supply, same as your house and knowing which side of a main switch is live and which side is not is basic stuff.
sorry if you feel thats a snide comment but i am not the only one that has told you to swot up on the basics before performing tests you are clearly not comfortable with

Mate we where all in your boat at some stage and I feel for you. You sound really really keen like you want to learn. Try ringin a few sparks up and ask them if you can shadow them whilst they are doing some testing (free of charge). They'll probly let you join in...

Are you based in the North West?

I resolved the issues regarding the Ze readings with the actual help of this thread along time ago.

What have I learned since. well its not to ask questions on this forum again. there is to much destructive critisism and not enough constructive stuff.

shame to hear that, perhaps if you had paid attention on your 2392 course you could have answered your op.
good luck searching for a more helpful forum.

And just for the record Competent Person (A person who possesses sufficient technical knowledge, relevant practical skills, and experience for the nature of the electrical work undertaken and is able at all times to prevent danger and, where appropriate, injury to him/herself and others.)
passing a 2392 course in my mind does not make a person competent unless they have experience to back it up.

I never classed myself as competent because I lack this experience. So instead of doing as some so called competent electricians do. i.e just filling in the little boxes, or just driving by and filling in the boxes. I try to learn so oneday when I am competent I do the job right.

I resolved the issues regarding the Ze readings with the actual help of this thread along time ago.

What have I learned since. well its not to ask questions on this forum again. there is to much destructive critisism and not enough constructive stuff.

I am sorry you feel that way kes

If that is your opinion,so be it,the forum is a talking shop with many differing characters and your opinion is as valid as any

Stick with us and fight your corner,critisism or advise,(whichever you describe)is thrown at us all at times

Level of testing skill is not the be all and end all of this game

You may very well do a first class installation and have experience and knowledge above and behond some of us who have contributed
The community here is for views and opinions from all,dont throw in the towel
and we will look forward to further contributions

I will stick with it. because I did get some good info from the earlier part of this thread.

I look at it like this. If everyone always tested and never made any mistakes then there would be no point in designing meters that you can't break when you stick the probes in the wrong holes.

I will stick with it. because I did get some good info from the earlier part of this thread.

I look at it like this. If everyone always tested and never made any mistakes then there would be no point in designing meters that you can't break when you stick the probes in the wrong holes.

Calm down, Calm down

kes. you have to learn to take the rough with the smooth. having read most of the posts on this thread, i can see you have had some very good advice, albeit, some of it seeming negative. whilst we all admire your determination to progress, we also have regard for your own personal safety, and that is why some of the posts seem a bit harsh. the best thing, IMO, is if you could arrange to get some work , even part time, with an experienced spark, as it's far, far better to be shown how to do things than instructed eitehr in college or by this or any other forum. keep at it, observe safety issues, and always come here for advice. we've all taken knock backs. it's part of the learnig curve.

Reply to Testing problems need a little help. in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net