Discuss The Future of Fuse boards...? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

The bit “Is it necessary to use cable glands made from metal or intumescent sealing material for cable entries?”
Should have had a “no” on the end 🙂

Hands across the table and all that, but it does 🙂
The second bit was copied from your link, I should have taken it out, it also had a no on the end.

"Is it necessary to use cable glands made from metal or intumescent sealing material for cable entries? No"

So I'm getting a bit lost, are you not agreeing with what you quoted ?

Last edited:
So I'm getting a bit lost
You're not the only one.
I'm not really interested as to what the IET, BS7671, or any on site guide has to say on the subject. I'm an engineer, and know that if a smouldering substance is placed inside a fireproof, but not airtight box, and that box has an opening into a vertically upwards open void, then the heat from the smouldering will cause air to flow into void, which, in turn, is likely to cause the smouldering substance to ignite, even if it is nominally self extinguishing, which will increase the airflow into the void, carrying heat and flame with it.

The second bit was copied from your link, I should have taken it out, it also had a no on the end.

"Is it necessary to use cable glands made from metal or intumescent sealing material for cable entries? No"

So I'm getting a bit lost, are you not agreeing with what you quoted ?
You‘ve lost me, but I think we’ve discussed this enough now.

You're quoting from an interview with someone who helped write BS7671 and not a consensus among the many people involved.

Since one individual espoused this view in 2015, there have been a number of subsequent editions of wiring regulations in which it could have been included. That it hasn't been included might be an indication of others not being in agreement. No matter, it seems odd that such clarification (if that's what we're taking it to be) has been omitted from successive editions - if indeed the IET's position was ever such.
I came across this one from 2019

The penetration of plasterboard and the like and its return to original state, when installing cables, has always been on my mind when carrying out an install. To the extent, I came to fitting intumescent collars around extract fans installed in plasterboard ceilings, and I only ever fitted fire resistant downlights (& noise for that fact), regardless, all trying to observe to 527.2.

I don't see it applies to surface mounted CU's, unless the surface its installed on, is breached. If thats what your suggesting?

EICR today.... mouse came straight in the back.

in other news apparently 1mm tastes the nicest

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230119_174251_Gallery.jpg
    286.9 KB · Views: 22
Did you repremand him / her / whatever, for carrying out an act that could be extemely dangerous to themselves and worse, could lead to C.U's having to have rodent traps built in.
I think hes still in there dead so didnt waste my breath, theres fluff in the middle. I put the lid back on after showing the home owner, all devices are coated in mouse ---- too so ive gone with that board being an operational limitation/fkin biohazard ☣️ scheduled for replacement and worry about it then, and i will be sealing the back up thoroughly

This would work: Easyfix KEM-PSC-380-EF Polyester Resin 380ml - https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/easyfix-kem-psc-380-ef-polyester-resin-380ml/1245j bit OTT, but would keep the mice out, in fact it will keep everything out, including anyone wanting to install a new circuit. 🤔

This would work: Easyfix KEM-PSC-380-EF Polyester Resin 380ml - https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/easyfix-kem-psc-380-ef-polyester-resin-380ml/1245j bit OTT, but would keep the mice out, in fact it will keep everything out, including anyone wanting to install a new circuit. 🤔
Might also keep out future electricians and their work.

Reply to The Future of Fuse boards...? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net