Discuss Thinking of doing inspection course in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

Emm Eff

Hi all,

I've been considering doing the C&G 2391 Inspection Course. I would like to work self employed carrying out inspections, but maintain my regular PAYE job as a 17th Edition Approved Electrician.

My question is, if I want to carry out inspections and sign installations off, is holding the 2391 cert enough, or would I have to be a member of NICEIC or similar?

Thanks in advance.

You don't actually require the 2391 to carry out Inspection and Testing.
Being a member of a professional body might be benifical, as some insurance companies and other organisations may require such.
What would be required more than anything else, is Professional Indemnity Insurance.

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I'm surprised that I wouldn't need the course... If not, then what's the point in paying to do it!

I take it I could just register self employed to get all the required insurance, I mean I wouldn't have start a registered company?

The course originally was designed at the behest of the NICEIC, so their QS's could prove their competence.
It was dropped as a requirement by the NICEIC as so many failed.
It is now being used as a standard qualification requirement by many employers. They're not paying any more if you have it though.
No you wouldn't have to start a registered or limited company.
Obviously, the more strings you have to your bow, the better.
You may even be able to convince your present emplyer to caugh up for the 2391, as it would make you better at your job?

I'm confused I'm an industrial spark of 15 years with NVQ level 3, HNC and 16th edition (on waiting list for 17th edition). I'm constantly getting asked to change cu's and do PIRS does that mean as long as I register myself self employed I can carry out these jobs ?

I'm confused I'm an industrial spark of 15 years with NVQ level 3, HNC and 16th edition (on waiting list for 17th edition). I'm constantly getting asked to change cu's and do PIRS does that mean as long as I register myself self employed I can carry out these jobs ?

you can change them yep. two options really
1 notify building control, depending on your location they may or may not charge you for the notification, i would work on the first one for 99% of them though.
2 join one of the schemes and self certify.
as for the pir`s mate anyone who is competent can do them. i would ensure you had public indemnity insurance though if your offering your professional opinion though mate,

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheers phil thought that was the case but a few of the threads of late are confussing. To go down the building control route do you need c&g 2391 then ?

some bc`s will let you certify your own and i have seen a post on here where they actually asked for a copy of the certs etc and didn`t bill him for the notification because he had his quals and the 91. you will be able to do it without the 91 through bc but its not a cheap day out at £150 upwards for the notification.

no mate but unless your registered with a scheme
they may charge my local labc charge £190 wether they carry out the inspection and testing or not wether i am qualified or even if i was just diy wether i have 2391 or not which i do doesnt matter they still want there £190 wether i inspect ,test, design or just do the construction
best option Join a scheme £450+ seems a lot but compared to £190 for every notifiable job it would soon pay for it self then you can sign the certs for the scheme your a member of will notify labc for you and they will then send a building completion cert
for pir you dont have to join a scheme or have the 2391 only professinal imdemnity and competence as well as being able to correctly inspect and test and fill the necessary certs

2391-10 helps prove you are competent and able to carry out a inspection and test but its not required for you to hold it yet to do pir

Last edited:
Following on from this, I've decided to do the 2391 course soon. I really want to start trading myself, and basically advertise to the domestic market. Will be doing inspections and general electrical work for the domestic market.

I'm a complete novice when it comes to setting up a company. Do I just register a company and buy my liability insurance and the go from there?

Could anyone provide a link or post information on how I would go about setting up the company? I'm basically looking to dip my toe in, so to speak. If I'm struggling to get continuity of work, I'll just wind up the company and put it down to experience. Nothing ventured, nothing gained and all that!

By the way, I'm based in Scotland just in case that makes any difference.

TIA

Hi Emm Eff try this link;

HM Revenue & Customs: Starting up in Business

Give them a call & explain your situation, they were quite helpful when I first started out. You can either go as a sole trader (one man band) or a private limited company, or even as a partnership depending on your needs.

They also offer short courses on how to fill in paperwork etc. Went on a couple as they were free and found them to be very informative.

Think that Part P is not applicable in Scotland and they have a different approach to things, happy to be shot to pieces on that one though.

We will soon be getting the 18th edition of the fun book so would hang fire on the regs course for a while otherwise you will be doing an update just after the main course, will save you paying out twice.

Regards wa

Reply to Thinking of doing inspection course in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net