Discuss Tips for my first niceic inspection in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

What times are those? If you are working live then you will be following a very detailed plan of the work written specifically for the task and will be using temporary insulation, fully insulated tools etc and wearing suitable fire resistant clothing, arc shields etc. None of this makes safe isolation a 'little bit obsolete'

Anyway, I thought you said earlier you only do domestic? There's never a need to work live in domestic work!

Working live is only really going to be considered when paying out the compensation for killing someone is cheaper than the loss of profit from shutting down production.
Firstly I didn’t say safe isolation would ever be obsolete, I said ensuring it’s 100% guaranteed safe (which isn’t achievable as someone previously stated) becomes obsolete.

If your working on an apartment in an occupied block of flats, are you going to shut the entire building down purely to work on that one flat? I’ve been in this situation and even after knocking on each apartment to ask if shutting down the power is ok, there is still atleast 1 or 2 that you can’t get into. I always use fully insulated tools and would use temporary insulation but I can honestly say I have never found the need to wear fire proof clothing and use arc shields when working in a domestic or commercial environment.

And also I never said I only do domestic. I said I very rarely do private work as I am not currently able to self certify and personally don’t feel like I should be out there doing my own work unless I can fully test and self certify it afterwards.

Firstly I didn’t say safe isolation would ever be obsolete, I said ensuring it’s 100% guaranteed safe (which isn’t achievable as someone previously stated) becomes obsolete.

If your working on an apartment in an occupied block of flats, are you going to shut the entire building down purely to work on that one flat? I’ve been in this situation and even after knocking on each apartment to ask if shutting down the power is ok, there is still atleast 1 or 2 that you can’t get into. I always use fully insulated tools and would use temporary insulation but I can honestly say I have never found the need to wear fire proof clothing and use arc shields when working in a domestic or commercial environment.

No, but I woukd arrange to isolate the feed to that particular flat if necessary. There will be a means of isolation for the supply to each flat. If work is required to the live side of that means of isolation then you have to contact the BNO to arrange the necessary permissions etc.

I always use fully insulated tools and would use temporary insulation but I can honestly say I have never found the need to wear fire proof clothing and use arc shields when working in a domestic or commercial environment.

Do you not find that it gets expensive using fully insulated tools all of the time, they must get damaged pretty easily in everyday use? We're not talking about your usual 1000V VDE tools which still have a lot of exposed metal but actual fully insulates/all plastic construction.

You aren't risk assessing the job very well if you haven't found the need for arc protection when working live, you don't exactly get a second chance once you've written off your eyes!

No, but I woukd arrange to isolate the feed to that particular flat if necessary. There will be a means of isolation for the supply to each flat. If work is required to the live side of that means of isolation then you have to contact the BNO to arrange the necessary permissions etc.
I was talking about the sub main feeding all the said apartments. On paper it’s fine stating exactly how things should be done but in reality it doesn’t always work that way. Sometimes the job has to be done and it can’t always be done 100% to the book. I think anyone who says they’ve always 100% done things to the book is a liar, in my opinion.

I understand your point of view and I totally agree things should ALWAYS be done as safely as possible. All I’m saying is sometimes they cannot always be done 100% to the book and from what I’ve heard even the niceic understand this as fact.

I was talking about the sub main feeding all the said apartments. On paper it’s fine stating exactly how things should be done but in reality it doesn’t always work that way. Sometimes the job has to be done and it can’t always be done 100% to the book. I think anyone who says they’ve always 100% done things to the book is a liar, in my opinion.

They turned off the power to my local neighbourhood recently, to do some supply work. Sent round a nice little letter a few weeks before. Can't see its a problem. As davesparks said, you should have very good reasons to work live, otherwise you's be in trouble with HSE, should it all go wrong & you survive.

I've had my hands inside a live DB to do some very minor stuff before now, but no one would come to my aid (not literary) if it went wrong.

They turned off the power to my local neighbourhood recently, to do some supply work. Sent round a nice little letter a few weeks before. Can't see its a problem. As davesparks said, you should have very good reasons to work live, otherwise you's be in trouble with HSE, should it all go wrong & you survive.

I've had my hands inside a live DB to do some very minor stuff before now, but no one would come to my aid (not literary) if it went wrong.

This is all I’m saying. You’ve had your hands inside a live dB board so therefore you cannot say you’ve always followed the book 100%. The times I have worked live have only been what I would consider minor also and have in my opinion been necessary.

I wouldn't rely on one of those, with my health on the line. The only way to know that something is 'off', is when it was 'on' and then you've just turned it 'off'. :)
I would only rely on these as a secondary or even third option. Just to check that my primary testing equiptment was correct. It’s purely a back up option in the case stated by someone previously

As someone said previously we are electricians. Our job involves working with something that can kill you at anytime. If working with that risk factor does not appeal then maybe the electrical industry is not for you. Of course we try to minimise that risk factor to the absolute smallest quantity but there is virtually always a potential risk present.

I don't get this stuff about not trusting a proving unit. If your favourite AVI says the proving unit is live and the supply is dead, and another instrument agrees that the proving unit is live and the supply is dead, then there is a vanishingly small chance that the supply is live. With cross checking both live and dead, each instrument validates the others. If you don't have the proving unit and simply rely on the AVI and MFT agreeing that the supply is dead, the probability that it is live is still pretty small but you have no frame of reference for that.

I have blown instruments up, including my trusty Fluke DMM that stopped measuring things after getting a momentary whiff of 50kV. It looked fine but just displayed zeroes all the time. Had I relied on it I would have been stuffed.

I think one technique is very helpful in this kind of situation. So cover your eyes with wet toilet tissue sit on the loo put your head between your legs and kiss your sweet --- goodbye...oh hang on that's if the atom bomb is going to drop sorry, as you were.

You can use your own premises as on eof the sample jobs.
If it is a domestic installer registration then one domestic job is required.
If it is an approved contractor registration then it needs to be 3 sample jobs demonstrating the full spectrum of work you carry out, not just domestic work.
I was encouraged to go down the AC route with NICEIC and was told by the assessor if the focus is on domestic in your business, then you can show just domestic jobs. As always I gather that Certsure can be flexible when a cheque is involved.

Get a proving unit and voltage tester, plenty of good offers out there at the moment.
Does my fluke t5-1000 count as a voltage indicator? I’m aware it indicates when there is a voltage present but it’s not dedicated to just this function. My megger multimeter can also indicate when a voltage is present but i know that niceic don’t recognise this as a reliable source for whatever reason

Reply to Tips for my first niceic inspection in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock