Discuss Tips for my first niceic inspection in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Does my fluke t5-1000 count as a voltage indicator? I’m aware it indicates when there is a voltage present but it’s not dedicated to just this function. My megger multimeter can also indicate when a voltage is present but i know that niceic don’t recognise this as a reliable source for whatever reason
Have a look at this mate , it was part of the old 2391 exam too.

Have a look at this mate , it was part of the old 2391 exam too.

Thanks. I’ll get myself a new voltage detector and proving unit then. What with all the new 18th edition books I’ve bought, the 18th edition course I’ve booked and the niceic subscription and initial assessment costs, this is proving to be a rather costly experience. I hope it’s worth it

Thanks. I’ll get myself a new voltage detector and proving unit then. What with all the new 18th edition books I’ve bought, the 18th edition course I’ve booked and the niceic subscription and initial assessment costs, this is proving to be a rather costly experience. I hope it’s worth it
Money spent on safety equipment is never wasted. It could save your or someone's life.
I have the Megger voltage tester in your link . It is a very useful tester. It has phase rotation and correct polarity amongst other features too.

Something else I bought off the megger man last week

That now takes my total to about 8 different types..

Attachments

• Tips for my first niceic inspection F6D0BE4C-0879-4A91-B972-AE151A763717 - EletriciansForums.net
    F6D0BE4C-0879-4A91-B972-AE151A763717.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 13
Consider Kewtech if you want a lower budget but still reasonable item.

Are the nic going to want to see an approved voltage tester and proving unit? Or can I get away with using my fluke t5-1000 and proving it on a known source when doing safe isolation, which I’m assuming you’ll have to show?
He’ll be looking for a GS38 compliant voltage tester. You can get GS38 probes for the fluke. TS38.
Sold by RS, and others.

Last edited:
I would only rely on these as a secondary or even third option. Just to check that my primary testing equiptment was correct. It’s purely a back up option in the case stated by someone previously

A device used to check that your primary testing equipment is correct should be something more reliable than the primary testing equipment, not something less reliable.

Does my fluke t5-1000 count as a voltage indicator? I’m aware it indicates when there is a voltage present but it’s not dedicated to just this function. My megger multimeter can also indicate when a voltage is present but i know that niceic don’t recognise this as a reliable source for whatever reason

It's not what the niceic recognises that matters, the equipment you use needs to comply with gs38 for the purpose of safe isolation.

Don't forget you'll also need a means of locking off suitable to the type of equipment you work on.

Has anyone got any recommendations on a decent yet not too expensive proving unit and voltage indicator?

Make sure the one you do purchase, is manufacturered to withstand rough service. I bought one of those dilog voltage tester (& proving unit :) ). It lasted a year, before the lead popped out of the main housing.

Bought a Fluke one, its nice & rebust. Still got the dilog proving unit mind.

Reply to Tips for my first niceic inspection in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock