Discuss Tumble dryers in shower rooms..... in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Gavin John Hyde

-
Esteemed
Arms
Patron
Reaction score
Doing an EICR today and customer has a tumble dryer in the shower room.
Room is an L shape with shower directly in front of door and around corner under stairs is a tumble dryer.
it is fed from a socket in the lounge next door, cable has plug on it in socket that goes along skirting through wall to a junction box on wall where tumble dryer connects. its outside the zone as the wall is out of the zones and has a wall between the shower and junction box.
not sure of reg in 18th but it was 701.55 in the 17th regarding appliances in bathrooms/special locations.
would you C2 or C3 it? based on this description and picture below?
suitability of accessories/means of isolation are just some of the issues that come to mind.
I have for now coded it c3 as its not powered from the shower room but needs improving and there is no loose connections or thermal damage. the junction box is now rotated to be sealed better. In anycase customer is having me fit a switched fcu and run a proper feed to it.

Tumble dryers in shower rooms..... 20190529_092906 - EletriciansForums.net

Regulation 701.512.3 permits 230 V socket outlets to be installed in a room containing a bath or shower, providing they are installed 3m horizontally from the boundary of zone 1.

Regulation 701.55 restricts the type of fixed and permanently connected current-using equipment that can be installed in zone 1. Washing machines and tumble dryers may be installed in a bathroom provided they are:

• supplied from a switched fused flex outlet installed outside the zones (socket outlets are only allowed 3 m horizontally from the boundary of zone 1);
  • protected by a 30 mA RCD; and
  • permitted for such installation by the manufacturer.

It’s on a plug witch is not fixed wiring or an appliance witch is all you are there to test if you feel strongly put in the observations

I had this a few years ago and it was in zone 2 and fed by a switched spur outside of zones and rcd protected

I was initially unhappy with this set up but after speaking to my scheme provider technical dept and reading the regs again

They assured me if the manufacturers confirmed in writing or instructions the appliance was IPX4 then it was fine

It was IPX4 and they all are apparently

Reply to Tumble dryers in shower rooms..... in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock