Discuss Washing machine and Tumble dryer in shower room - issue with electrical install in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

X is outside zone 2 and fine for an FCU. The appliances themselves look to be outside zone 2 as well.

I'm I'm reading it right, the light switch and the fan isolator will be in zone 2, and switchgear is not permitted in zone 2.
A consumer unit in zone 2 is a no-no.
I should have made it clearer in my post, the switches and consumer unit are outside the bathroom, just on the other side of the same stud wall.

Worrying that their solution is an RCD protected socket - surely the shower room circuits are already RCD protected?

Yes, there is a separate consumer unit for all electrics in the garage.

I've not seen it said whether their solution, as inelegant as it may be actually falls foul of regs? The way i'm reading it is that any type of wall socket (potential exemption for shaving point) is disqualified that distance from the shower, but of course i'm not an expert.

Yes, there is a separate consumer unit for all electrics in the garage.

I've not seen it said whether their solution, as inelegant as it may be actually falls foul of regs? The way i'm reading it is that any type of wall socket (potential exemption for shaving point) is disqualified that distance from the shower, but of course i'm not an expert.

Worth checking that all circuits are RCD protected.

So reading this, am i right to assume the following

1) It makes no difference if a socket is an Outdoor RCD protected socket, the fact any socket exists at all <3m from a shower is in contravention of regs?
2) Given the location of my existing socket, to adhere with regs, this could be replaced by an FCU within the bathroom itself or a flex plate installed, and the FCU placed somewhere outside the bathroom.

Again, apologies for my ignorance, my expertise in this area is nil!

No socket within 3m of a shower or bath inside the same room, except for a special type intended for a shaver. Note the "in the room bit". I have a socket about 300mm from the edge of my bath, but it's just outside the bathroom door.
If your existing socket is at least 600mm from the outer edge of the shower, it can be replaced by a FCU. This assumes that your shower is reasonably conventional, and not an open wet room type with horizontal jets as well as vertical.
You can Google "bathroom zones", but about 90% of the diagrams you will find are incorrect. There is no zone around a hand basin, and zones 1 and 2 extend to 2.25m from the floor (whatever height the bottom of the shower or bath is), and the area above that is outside the zones. Your FCUs must be outside zones 0,1 and 2.
Edit: Just spotted the diagram. Anywhere the other side of the WC from the shower is OK for the FCUs, which must be 30mA RCD protected.

Last edited:

Reply to Washing machine and Tumble dryer in shower room - issue with electrical install in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net