Discuss UK cable 1mm coloured red blue yellow -- what is it? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I hate to say this, but this phote does not meet French regs as there is only one Interrupteur Differential (RCD). I have just been picked up on a Consuel inspection for only having 3 on a house of over 100sqm. The inspector said that there should be 4, even though it was a 3 phase installation.

Totally over the top if you ask me.

You are not wrong --- however this was a rewiring of an installation - so not subject to a Consuel inspection ---- It is three phase too.. If it was single phase - and an inspection were required - then for a property this size - at least three RCDs would have been required. -- two type AC and a type A, - this board could be made to conform by adding a single type A and moving the washing machine - and perhaps a few other circuits behind it ---- but ----- as you say - a bit over the top :D as I am sure the Consuel would agree - as he picked up on it :D --- regs are regs :D ça fait marche le commerce, comme ils disent !

Anyone fancy a CU/DB approaching this sort of size in their house?? lol!!!

Just trying to work out why you would need two socket outlets mounted in the DB?? lol!!

This is actually a requirement - or accepted practice at least -- very useful too.....The size of this board is because of the number of "panneaux rayonnants" used as heating - each needs its own protection MCB - (often done in a separate unit) -- here the best way was to balance - as best we could - on three separate rows. The property is a renovated old farm building deep in the countryside - and the board is in a utility space -- but I can see the point you are making ---- Even for a new build a French "Tableau" is likely to be bigger than a CU -- and likely to be in the garage rather than under the stairs :D - (so it doesn't need a sticker telling - not to put the ironing board heaps of other stuff in front of it. :D LOL) I might have 'photos of really old stuff that was there before the rewire, but they might be used to suggest that French electrics are mostly like that!

Last edited by a moderator:
This is actually a requirement - or accepted practice at least -- very useful too.....The size of this board is because of the number of "panneaux rayonnants" used as heating - each needs its own protection MCB - (often done in a separate unit) -- here the best way was to balance - as best we could - on three separate rows. The property is a renovated old farm building deep in the countryside - and the board is in a utility space -- but I can see the point you are making ---- Even for a new build a French "Tableau" is likely to be bigger than a CU -- and likely to be in the garage rather than under the stairs :D - (so it doesn't need a sticker telling - not to put the ironing board heaps of other stuff in front of it. :D LOL) I might have 'photos of really old stuff that was there before the rewire, but they might be used to suggest that French electrics are mostly like that!

Wouldn't be any worse than some of the very old UK installs before the advent of central CU's/DB's!! lol!!

Literary every circuit had it's own rewireable switch fuse, so could look a real mess over time, as more and more circuit provisions was added!! lol!! So no problem posting your photo's, ...it'll be interesting to see them..lol!!

Anyone fancy a CU/DB approaching this sort of size in their house?? lol!!!

Just trying to work out why you would need two socket outlets mounted in the DB?? lol!!

Look on the bright side,if they were all monstrosities like the photo,then the part p ers could forget their worries about what hight to fit them

Definitely no earth conductor, by the way....... 100_2168.jpg

Look on the bright side,if they were all monstrosities like the photo,then the part p ers could forget their worries about what hight to fit them

I expected this kind of snide observation when I posted the 'photo ---- yea -- foreign stuff - monstrosity -- snort chortle chortle ...... .. and - do you not actually know what height you need to put your CUs...... Perhaps you should reflect on the fact that the profit margin and satisfaction in meeting the regulations and customer expectations with such arrrangements is greater than that in trying to work out what height to place some cheap but adaquate CU....:angry_smile:

does anyone know how a 3 way system was wired with this cable? ie was the yellow an earth? lighting instals were,nt earthed at that time,the conduit box was the only earth.
he

does anyone know how a 3 way system was wired with this cable? ie was the yellow an earth? lighting instals were,nt earthed at that time,the conduit box was the only earth.
he
yellow was certainly not an earth!!!!!. that's why cables have an unsleeved cpc. all 3 colours were needed for the 2/3 way switching. google it and you'll find diagrams.

What colours do the rest of Europe use? Do any of them use the "standardised" colours or is it just us as usual.
Conductors in Cables in the UK now match what we use Phases Brown Black and Grey, with a blue neutral and green/yellow G . In France the Lighting is wired differently, and often cables are made up in plastic conduits - in which case , other than the neutral and the earth, many different colours might be used to make life easier. On a "Va et Viens" controlled light orange or violet conductors are habitually used for the "navettes". Brown or black tends to be single returns ........

Reply to UK cable 1mm coloured red blue yellow -- what is it? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net