Discuss Vaulted ceiling with exposed beams. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Leesparkykent

Esteemed
Reaction score
I'm looking for suggestions...Vaulted ceiling with exposed beams and 3 chandeliers in a row hanging from the centre all to be switched separately . The ceiling has been boarded, insulated and tiled from outside so no chance of running cables up to chandelier positions hidden from view. My 1st thoughts were to run a bit of twin skin up the side of the beam closest to each chandelier and use buckle clips but then I thought a bit of bare 2l1.5 would look better with copper P clips. The customer likes the idea of the bare 2l1.5 but £100 on 3 switch drops is putting him off a little. Any other suggestions?

If a slight repair is an option , and the insulation is celotex . What are the chances of small access holes and rods up the sides of the beams to exit points.
Providing that you can get cables hidden to the bottom of boards.

Stick with the bare MI option and stick to the added cost. If they can afford chandeliers and exposed vaulted beams I would imagine that the small added cost of having switch drops that look right and don't look like saggy spaghetti is not going to see them out on the streets. If they want a cheaper option that looks gash then more fool them.

Stick with the bare MI option and stick to the added cost. If they can afford chandeliers and exposed vaulted beams I would imagine that the small added cost of having switch drops that look right and don't look like saggy spaghetti is not going to see them out on the streets. If they want a cheaper option that looks gash then more fool them.

I think your right Andy, IMO its the only real option that would look half decent. This is a builders own house and we all know they squeak when they walk lol.

This is the house, the garage on left is being converted and linked to the house. These are the beams in the house and the ones in the garage are the same but hasn't got as many cross beams/supports.
adams house.JPG
adams house2.JPG

Stick with the MI.
However it looks like there are floodlights outside, possibly with permanent line. Can you drill through at high level into the room so that you come out above the main beam and then run a five core flex along the top of the beam splitting the switched lines to receivers as appropriate and have remote controlled switches for the lights.

White FP200 and obviously white p clips? Always our thinking outside the box remedy.

Sounds like he's left It till last and expects things to just appear. Once again nobody thinking about the electrical work until it's too late. I'd stick with the MI as it sounds like it'd look the best. I wouldn't be keen on messing around with trying to conceal much else now the ceiling is plastered etc...More hassle than what's it worth.

Reply to Vaulted ceiling with exposed beams. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net