Discuss Way to Save Energy Bill By Power Down STand-by Transformers in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

This gives a more of an idea of what we had to contend with. It wasn’t the easiest to get your head around.

Again the grid operators equipment is in red our equipment in blue.

The four 33KV main feeds and the two 11KV standby feeds were under the control of the grid operators with but we could lock them out. The grid operators had to isolate them if needs be.

Emergency generators shown in purple at 660V stepped up to 11KV. The generators operated in islanded mode so no synchronisation needed. Only three substations had generators.

Intake-3_zps2b7a9509.jpg

E54:
You asked what company would put up with a distribution system that is far from ideal. I’ll ask you, how many companies would pay to totally rebuild that system?
We would need 30MW to keep some semblance of production going. To build a power plant of that size = £XX million. It just isn’t going to happen.

Obviously a bit late now after the horse has bolted, like donkey's years ago!! lol!! But where they seemed to think that a standby generator was deemed necessary, then why not incorporate a black start system to cover just the 2 or maybe even 3 VCB'S necessary to accommodate a black start system.

Personally if it was only for the LV distribution system i would have thought the stand-by genny's would be better off being on final LV buses, that are not shown, but i don't know the system being used....

Besides it looks like you'd rarely if ever, loose the total supply on the system you posted above, especially if those 4 incomers were from separate supply sources....

Tony, Can you email the un chopped about layout so i make a bit more sense of the overall layout??

I'll also need wait for the OP systems description too....

Tony, Can you email the un chopped about layout so i make a bit more sense of the overall layout??

I'll also need wait for the OP systems description too....

Sent

Now I’ve seen the system it doesn’t make a lot of sense to me either. But like many things, if you don’t know the history, you don’t know how the system evolved.

You once asked me about the systems I worked on saying they were badly designed, they weren’t designed they evolved over many years. Bits added, bits chopped out, it was never ending change. While ever it worked we had to make do with it.

That last drawing of mine, the generators must have moved house more times than me. Originally they were on a plant that was demolished many years ago.

I’ve had to chop this about a bit but the main bits are here.

I’ll leave it to our friend to add the description.

Penang1_zps16f66655.jpg

Penang2_zpsb458856d.jpg

Hi Tony,

Thanks for helping out to upload the single line diagram, instead of adding the description, I will probably asking permission from E54 for sending the native PDF file to him for review too.

The red node defines VCB in close position at this moment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sent

Now I’ve seen the system it doesn’t make a lot of sense to me either. But like many things, if you don’t know the history, you don’t know how the system evolved.

You once asked me about the systems I worked on saying they were badly designed, they weren’t designed they evolved over many years. Bits added, bits chopped out, it was never ending change. While ever it worked we had to make do with it.

That last drawing of mine, the generators must have moved house more times than me. Originally they were on a plant that was demolished many years ago.

Can't remember remarking that your system was badly designed in the past, this is the first time i've seen it. And yes, systems that evolve over time where factory needs get chopped, changed and extended etc, etc do tend to end up not making much sense design wise.

It happened at the company i did my training with, and that had it's own power station. During my time there, virtually the whole system (Well 3 of the main 5 factory MV distribution systems) were completely upgraded and reconfigured including remote and automated switching facilities from main control room. The work was undertaken over 3 years of annual shut down programmes. the main infrusture work being conducted by contractors between the shutdowns....Then 3 weeks of 24 hours a day of pure pandamonium!! lol!!

Most of the costs associated to those changes and upgrades were offset by company tax allowances and incentives....

Tell me about it.

Rebuild a complete substation in a fortnight. I only went to install a new transformer. I damn near lived at work.

Hello Gentlemen,

Thanks for all your interest in this topic. I encounter problem of even uploading small portion of diagram and symbols.

Here is the description, hope it helps.

Red Node : VCB in Close position;
Black Cross : VCB in Open position;
Cross in Circle : Bus Tie;
Green Switch Symbol ; Earth Switch

The Single Line Diagram is showing currently switching status.

Hello Gentlemen,

Thanks for all your interest in this topic. I encounter problem of even uploading small portion of diagram and symbols.

Here is the description, hope it helps.

Red Node : VCB in Close position;
Black Cross : VCB in Open position;
Cross in Circle : Bus Tie;
Green Switch Symbol ; Earth Switch

The Single Line Diagram is showing currently switching status.

Only had time for a quick overview at the moment, but i find the VCB and COUPLER Open/Closed positions on the 11KV and 6.6 KV switch boards a little confusing. I take it that P1-P2 and P5-P6 are out of service at this time??

What industry is this distribution system supplying power to?? By the looks of things you have 4 incoming 11KV utility supplies coming in to the site, are these incomers supplied from the same utility substation or are they derived from two different utility substations??

I'll have another look at your single line drawing later on....

Only had time for a quick overview at the moment, but i find the VCB and COUPLER Open/Closed positions on the 11KV and 6.6 KV switch boards a little confusing. I take it that P1-P2 and P5-P6 are out of service at this time??

What industry is this distribution system supplying power to?? By the looks of things you have 4 incoming 11KV utility supplies coming in to the site, are these incomers supplied from the same utility substation or are they derived from two different utility substations??

I'll have another look at your single line drawing later on....

P1-P2, P5-P6 are outgoing feeder to load, the VCB are always in "ON" position.

Actually there are 2 location sites, site "A" and site "B" about 3KM away form each other. Each site Sub-station is supplied from 2 incoming feeders tapping off from MV Ring Main of Utility company.

The stand-by generators are located in site "A", its back power is feeding to both "site "A" and site "B".

Due to company confidential policy, pardon me not disclosing its details here, one thing I can assure you is, it is a legal facility.

P1-P2, P5-P6 are outgoing feeder to load, the VCB are always in "ON" position.

Actually there are 2 location sites, site "A" and site "B" about 3KM away form each other. Each site Sub-station is supplied from 2 incoming feeders tapping off from MV Ring Main of Utility company.

The stand-by generators are located in site "A", its back power is feeding to both "site "A" and site "B".

Due to company confidential policy, pardon me not disclosing its details here, one thing I can assure you is, it is a legal facility.

I was referring to the supply breakers, .... eg, Site 'A' Main Utility Incomer VCB (8) Open, Bus Coupler (7) Open on Main switchboard and Bus Coupler (5) Open on 6.6KV switchboard, means no power to P1-P2 and P5-P6. Also TX 4 doesn't seem to be being utilised.... Yet you show VCB 12 and VCB 6 Closed for TX 2??

As i say, i'm just a little confused with some of the main VCB Open / Closed positions through out the single line drawing....

To make any sense of the system another drawing is needed showing the condition during normal operation. The last drawing can’t be right.

My sincere apology, it is my oversight that the red dot was accidentally moved away from VCB #8.

Normal operation conditions:

Site "A", VCB "ON" position are #6 & #8; #2 & #12;#4 & #6, feeding generator power will require changing over between #4 - #6, or #8 - #10.

Site "A", VCB "ON" position are #5 & #8; #1 & #11;feeding generator power will require changing over between #3 - #5, or #8 - #10.

Reply to Way to Save Energy Bill By Power Down STand-by Transformers in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net