Discuss Wholesalers who’s the best service and value in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Why is it when anyone talks of orders at a rip off price it's CEF that's the supplier? Never seems to be YESSS or any other.

Did you get a price for this? No? Oh we are gonna take you to the cleaners then.
Not a good business model though , what if we did that as trades men

On the rare occassions I ask CEF for a quote, I always question the price and they nearly always take 20% off

This is why I have NO confidence in them

Screwfix has its place BUT there is so many "bits" they simply don't stock or offer... TLC is far superior IMHO

Why is it when anyone talks of orders at a rip off price it's CEF that's the supplier? Never seems to be YESSS or any other.

Did you get a price for this? No? Oh we are gonna take you to the cleaners then.
I was in a CEF once when a women come in...Clearly not an electrician. The person behind the counter charged her an outrageous price for 4 lamps....As she left he turned and called her an idiot seeking approval from us who was standing there waiting for gear....He then went into the back office and you could hear him bragging to the other staff about how much he charged where they all seemed to give him a pat on the back for his ordasity.

If your company and paymasters aren't bothered about cost...then why are you?

All I'd be after in that case is good friendly service, having in stock all the items required, and (not that I drink the stuff) coffee and tea on tap when in the branches.
Principle , the fact that they are taking the mickey

I was in a CEF once when a women come in...Clearly not an electrician. The person behind the counter charged her an outrageous price for 4 lamps....As she left he turned and called her an idiot seeking approval from us who was standing there waiting for gear....He then went into the back office and you could hear him bragging to the other staff about how much he charged where they all seemed to give him a pat on the back for his ordasity.
That sounds familiar...my CEF used to have same idiot, if a Merc or fancy car drove in with no account he'd charge them a tenner for a GU10 halogen.

Check Every Figure (CEF), funny how the invoice "mistakes" never ever work in your favour

Screwfix has its place BUT there is so many "bits" they simply don't stock or offer... TLC is far superior IMHO

Yeah out of those two TLC is much better, I stopped going to screwfix after I got some 20mm pvc conduit which was as thin as paper! Almost bending under its own weight.

Edmondson and Electric Centre seem to be the least likely to take the ---- (round my way at least) on a walk in.

To be honest I use Screwfix mostly because I just can't be arsed with the haggling.

for t/e cable and c/u i find screwfix (which joe public can get it from) is the same as my local independant wholesaler! this annoys me
looking at few invoices on my desk now...
mk rcbo 22.50+v
100m 1.5 t/e 30.26+v
100m 1.0mm 3core 46.54+v
aico ei164e heat alarm 37.44+v
bg nexus brushed chrome d.socket 7.80+v

annoying that someone whos given them £18700 since january this year- get more or less same price as someone walking into screwfix

I once asked a few suppliers to quote a second fix of a large house
250 + downlights 48 way rcbo populated board etc etc
CEF and Eddies were around £7000 plus vat
local independent £5000 plus vat

Once CEF charged me £75 for a 2 gang dimmer, went back to the job and replaced dimmer and returned it, never used them since.

(i know people that work in both CEF and Eddies and the annual bonuses is based on branch profit, i built a 12 msq single storey extension with vaulted ceiling and veluxes etc for one of them just on their bonus pay out for that year and they just answer the phone/sales etc)

Get a quote before hand? Or if calling in get a docket with prices on it...

I know screwfix and TLC display their prices...for me that works in my favour as it's more expensive that what I buy at+my markup, but...if buying from them anyone can see their prices.

I get all my invoices by email, WF sound like a forward thinking company:tearsofjoy:

I often ask for quotes, and get them, but they can change month by month. If that means getting things cheaper than Screwfix, I would be happy. For me, MK faceplates cheaper at SF, cable RCBO's cheaper at WF. Horses for courses.

I popped in WF the other day. Needed just one gang dry lining box. Could of picked up pack of ten I know, but not sure when I would of used the other nine, 83pence. Two days later, envelope 2nd class post (56p) & invoice. They need to develop.

I popped in WF the other day. Needed just one gang dry lining box. Could of picked up pack of ten I know, but not sure when I would of used the other nine, 83pence. Two days later, envelope 2nd class post (56p) & invoice. They need to develop.
Haha...reminds me when I was just out of my time, I started working for a national company wiring heating systems. They sent me a letter with 1st class stamp to tell me that they were deducting 11 pence for private mileage o_O

Go back a few years and they put each invoice in a seperate envelope ......

Email is so much better, they have just made a small change so in the title of the email is the invoice number and your order reference ....

They still do, well not each invoice, but they could save the weeks up and post them in one envelope. I was think of doing them a favour and give them an idea to save a fortune, but its their money.

With CEF I think it depends on the branch, my nerest cef is useless, I use the one where I used to live and they look after me, but you do need to check the invoices but as a business owner I check every invoice no matter where it's from

Reply to Wholesalers who’s the best service and value in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net