Discuss Wholesalers who’s the best service and value in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I use a local independent wholesaler called Wilson electrical distributors. When I started my apprenticeship we used them and they had, I think, 6 branches in the area. Now they’ve doubled the number of branches and still provide a great service.

Bath where I am is a small city but we do have a range and you need to float between suppliers to get the best prices, as some have prices that are just unfathomable - such as Newey and Eyre.
within 3 minutes of each other we have

C.E.F - :-(
Denmans
Wilts
Edmundson Electrical
Newey & Eyre - Very Expensive
Screwfix
Toolstation
Homebase (Rarely)
KEW electrical - a bit further out but reliable and good staff

If i am over bristol and that area then there are quite a few suppliers such as Yess and TLC but my day to day needs can be met with the local ones. The days of loyalty to one supplier i think have long gone now with internet ordering where anybody can set themselves up on ebay and avoid the overheads.

I have always found CEF to be very expensive no matter who I was working for or the location , Northants, MK, Oxford , North London.
I use a variety in order below...
Neweys ( Rexel) as they have known me for numerous years and service is good locally.
Denmans
Toolstation (avoid the cheap brands)
Independants
TLC or other online elec wholesalers
Screwfix (very rarely due to quality of some items but are open late)

As a Sole trader myself I still do find it unfair that larger companies get better prices due to number of units sold but thats the way they work I suppose. Also I do find the whole "lets super inflate catalogue prices to show bigger discount" a big con. I don't care about discount....just the end price. I have never believed the 50% off sales...they always have a few Big Sales after inflating prices for a couple of weeks....same year after year.

I have always found CEF to be very expensive no matter who I was working for or the location , Northants, MK, Oxford , North London.
I use a variety in order below...
Neweys ( Rexel) as they have known me for numerous years and service is good locally.
Denmans
My local independent Midshires, nice people, good prices and services, and they are always ready to match or better any prices from others.
Toolstation (avoid the cheap brands)
Independants
TLC or other online elec wholesalers
Screwfix (very rarely due to quality of some items but are open late)

As a Sole trader myself I still do find it unfair that larger companies get better prices due to number of units sold but thats the way they work I suppose. Also I do find the whole "lets super inflate catalogue prices to show bigger discount" a big con. I don't care about discount....just the end price. I have never believed the 50% off sales...they always have a few Big Sales after inflating prices for a couple of weeks....same year after year.

I was in a CEF once when a women come in...Clearly not an electrician. The person behind the counter charged her an outrageous price for 4 lamps....As she left he turned and called her an idiot seeking approval from us who was standing there waiting for gear....He then went into the back office and you could hear him bragging to the other staff about how much he charged where they all seemed to give him a pat on the back for his ordasity.
Unfortunately this seems to be the attitude in many a wholesaler.
Often they are staffed with poorly trained staff with little product knowledge and even less customer-facing skills. I still find I’m shocked by the appalling level of service in some places, particularly if it’s one I’m not known in. Which is arse-about-face in this day and age.

FWIW I’m very happy with my local Eddies. Good level of stock, reasonable pricing, fantastic delivery service and most importantly CONSISTENT!
I also use a local independent who are always helpful if less competitive and don’t deliver (not usefully enough to me anyway) and Poofix (the name says it all really. But where else to I get stock on a Sunday?). I’ve had Electric Centre courting me for a couple of years but they always seem to manage to screw up, WF Senate went downhill after the Rexwl became WF, I’ve never bothered with Denmans as it always seems like too much trouble to sell me anything and CEF, well, they don’t end up being called Shitty Electrical Factors for nothing....

While I use Screwfix and Toolstation for various bits and pieces, the bulk of my materials are purchased from several online wholesalers such as Shop 4 Electrical and Direct Trade Supplies. I install Hager products on almost every installation and very much like the prices that these two wholesalers charge for the Hager range!

I tend to use screwfix or toolstation for most things as the free delivery is handy.

I have a CEF near me and I rarely use it because the prices are so high and they rarely have much in stock anyway.

main problem i find wuth screwfix is that except for day to day basic accessories, cable , etc. everything is next day. branch stock is pathetic, and at weekends, some staff have limited knowledge of what they are selling.

main problem i find wuth screwfix is that except for day to day basic accessories, cable , etc. everything is next day. branch stock is pathetic, and at weekends, some staff have limited knowledge of what they are selling.
I agree, I worked for Screwfix for a time, only a short time mind you.

10 Hail Mary sand a self flogging would be appropriate. double the punishment if he'd worked for CEF.

FWIW I’m very happy with my local Eddies. Good level of stock, reasonable pricing, fantastic delivery service and most importantly CONSISTENT!
I also use a local independent who are always helpful if less competitive and don’t deliver (not usefully enough to me anyway) and Poofix (the name says it all really. But where else to I get stock on a Sunday?). I’ve had Electric Centre courting me for a couple of years but they always seem to manage to screw up, WF Senate went downhill after the Rexwl became WF, I’ve never bothered with Denmans as it always seems like too much trouble to sell me anything and CEF, well, they don’t end up being called Shitty Electrical Factors for nothing....

Local independent Wholesalers are my choice, if you are Northampton area "Mid shires" would be my first stop. Always ready to do a deal I find.

Reply to Wholesalers who’s the best service and value in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net