Discuss Why is this happening? Electric current but no light. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Im not sure why the light does not come on. Tried 3 different bulbs. Voltage is passing through the black and red wire. The bulb too. Tried 3 bulbs.

Attachments

• 20230205_174152.jpg
    436 KB · Views: 24
  • 20230205_174135.jpg
    397.6 KB · Views: 25
  • 20230205_174157.jpg
    673.6 KB · Views: 24
  • 20230205_174142.jpg
    489.5 KB · Views: 22
Not sure what voltage. But one of the photos shows electric being passed into the bulb. Or thats what i assumed.

Measure with a multimeter. If this is outside it could be a low voltage fitting, was there any bulb installed before? you can read the voltage there too

A volt stick is unreliable for the test you are trying to do here.
if you have a suitable volt meter and know how to use it, measure the live to N, live to earth and N to earth voltages.

As above, volt sticks can light up at just a few volts, or static in your hair or even a wet dog at twenty feet (not real)

Also above, there may be voltage, but the lamp isn’t making contact properly.

And another theory, you have a live supply, but no neutral going back.

Any prodding about, please turn off the circuit.

Looking at the voltstick pics, it's lighting up too much. Symptom of a missing neutral.
Bear with me. So we have a red wire and a black wire. The red is now recognised as Brown (Live) and black is recognised as blue (neutral).
Therefore, there is a neutral supply going from the power source to the bulb.
Is there suppose to be another neutral wire which takes power from the bulb back to the power source to complete the circuit and maybe thats what is missing? No continuity?

As above, volt sticks can light up at just a few volts, or static in your hair or even a wet dog at twenty feet (not real)

Also above, there may be voltage, but the lamp isn’t making contact properly.

And another theory, you have a live supply, but no neutral going back.

Any prodding about, please turn off the circuit.
You mentioned 'No neutral going back'. I guess i need a multimeter to diagnose that. Could you recommend one which does not involve manual adjustments to get results/operate. I don't fancy those ones with a dial.

Another way of diagnosing would be to take the lamp off and see if there is a neutral wire coming out of it and check voltage?

Last edited:
I am going to have to say this.

Your skill level and understanding of electrical theory is just not high enough at the moment for you to be safely diagnosing and repairing this fault.

I am not being mean ( I help many diy'ers with problems) You should seek help from a qualified electrician.
it is the sort of job that some may be willing to do on the way home if you are flexible on day and time if you need to keep the cost right down.

As a last resort, getting some help in person from a friend that has had some experience with diy electrics would be better than nothing.

I am going to have to say this.

Your skill level and understanding of electrical theory is just not high enough at the moment for you to be safely diagnosing and repairing this fault.

I am not being mean ( I help many diy'ers with problems) You should seek help from a qualified electrician.

it is the sort of job that some may be willing to do on the way home if you are flexible on day and time if you need to keep the cost right down.

As a last resort, getting some help in person from a friend that has had some experience with diy electrics would be better than nothing.
Equally we're not trying to rewire a house. Sounded a bit extreme.

But you have already said you don't have test equipment, and you aren't confident in using any test equipment that needs ranges setting etc. This confirms that you need additional help and should ideally get an electrician in. No shame in this - you've done what you can, and more than many people would do.

But you have already said you don't have test equipment, and you aren't confident in using any test equipment that needs ranges setting etc. This confirms that you need additional help and should ideally get an electrician in. No shame in this - you've done what you can, and more than many people would do.

I didn't say I was incapable of purchasing a £20.00 multimeter and using it. I said I prefered something less fiddly.
Look, if your going to be difficult providing help then that's not what this forum is for. This is the DIY Electric forum so either be helpful with providing answers to our DIY type questions or kindly move on. Enhancing ones knowledge or asking questions does not mean we are not adult enough to know when an electrician is required or mature enough to Do It Yourself.

I didn't say I was incapable of purchasing a £20.00 multimeter and using it. I said I prefered something less fiddly.
Look, if your going to be difficult providing help then that's not what this forum is for. This is the DIY Electric forum so either be helpful with providing answers to our DIY type questions or kindly move on. Enhancing ones knowledge or asking questions does not mean we are not adult enough to know when an electrician is required or mature enough to Do It Yourself.

I'm not being difficult, and I apologise if it came across that way. I was thinking of your safety.

Hopefully you can get your issue sorted.

Fault finding is an area of expertise that can confuse anyone from trainee through DIY all the way to otherwise good installation engineers.

I understand that this is the place for DIY advice and as I have said before, both Myself and others do regularly give sound advice when it is appropriate.

my advice to you remains the same, get someone in who has the tools and knowledge required to fix it and ensure all is safe both whilst working on it and afterwards.

hope You get it sorted.

Reply to Why is this happening? Electric current but no light. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net