Discuss You'll Like This. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

Piratepete

Been asked to repair some Chinese built control panels for a distributor of a certain moveable tool. 200 of these have already been supplied to Joe Public

Well, I've fixed the control panels but:

1. The single phase flexible supply cable has the colours black for live, blue for neutral, and green/yellow for earth. It's supplied with a non-moulded 20 Amp industrial plug on the end of it. I know black is a live phase colour, but is this acceptable in the UK? Should the kit be recalled?

2. The only thing stopping the mains cable being pulled out of the panel is a cable tie. Ditto question above?

3. The mains earth is loosely connected to the panel and from there a link goes to the din rail (insulated from the panel), and thence to the earth terminal. I'm modifying this with an additional earth terminal on the din rail to connect the supply cpc to. Then recommending an urgent field mod to the other 197 units!

4. On a newer type panel the cable sopply cable enters throgh a standard IP65 plastic cable gland. Is that acceptable as a restraint?

Cheers
Pete:chinese:

Please expand on "asked to repair". Are you responsible for ensuring they meet BS? You say they are CE marked so are you telling us that they are ok?

With the greatest respect, why have you taken on a job to sort out these units if you are not sure about what is acceptable? Apologies, but I am somewhat confused....

Black is perfectly acceptable as a phase colour if its being imported from foreign land to European specifications.
Try the American colour code standard which is often imported here and then has to be wired up.

Black is perfectly acceptable as a phase colour if its being imported from foreign land to European specifications.
Try the American colour code standard which is often imported here and then has to be wired up.

Cheers ackbar, I didn't know that as well! (same reply as you Strima!)

Are Yank colours Black - L, White - N?

Please expand on "asked to repair". Are you responsible for ensuring they meet BS? You say they are CE marked so are you telling us that they are ok?

With the greatest respect, why have you taken on a job to sort out these units if you are not sure about what is acceptable? Apologies, but I am somewhat confused....

Interesting question. My brief was to make them work! I had no idea what a heap of c**p I had to work on. The customer is clearly out of his depth electrically and he seems willing to pay me to steer him in the right direction. Yes, with a CE mark they're meant to be OK, they're obviously not! But there is no mechanism or requirement to check most CE marked kit before it is sold in the EU.
This is a typical (but the worst I've seen) problem with equipment arriving from outside the EU with an EC Decaration of Conformity. Importers only have to verify that the manufacturer has undertaken the necessary steps to comply which is to do a conformity assessment and set up a technical (safety) file- a paperwork exercise. The importers have no right to see this file (assuming they know what they are looking for) only the HSE can demand that!
So they just accept what they're given and flog it on to an unsuspecting public!

Let regulation 511.1 be your guide here.

1.The Black for a LINE Colour is fine, you could if so wanted sleeve it Brown, but I personally would not bother

2. I've often seen this especially if the piece of equipment is no portable, the logic behind it is that once in situ, who is going to pull the cable ....................but me I would recommend fitting proper stuffing glands and quote reg 522.8.5 as just one to satisfy your recommendation

3. I think you seem to have covered that

4. Perfectly acceptable

The bottom line reg 511.1 is one of these regulations that really does put the onus on you. It basically says that there are so many standards it can't possibly cover them all, so you as the designer or the other person responsible (Love IET speak) will need to make the decision. Is it OK or not.

Reply to You'll Like This. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net