Discuss Zip ties on tray worked fixed to a wall in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

K

keiren

Come across a new install with tray work fixed across a wall above a door way with plastic zipe ties is the a regulation that states metal zip ties should be in situe ?

I had to re-tie 100s of metres of overhead cables on a ship once with metal ties because of in a fire there'd be burning cables flapping about everywhere.
So, above a doorway, I'd do the same.
No idea what, if any, the reg number is.

No regs as far as I’m concerned. Common sense prevails, fire proof restraints every time. I can’t see why the question should arise.

fire proof restraints, eh. like it.

GA05.jpg

Come across a new install with tray work fixed across a wall above a door way with plastic zipe ties is the a regulation that states metal zip ties should be in situe ?
No reg, if there were a problem with plastic ty wraps they would not sell them. You may be confusing fire alarm installs where cables need to be secured by metal p clips or metal ty wraps, certainely no issue with plastic ty wraps on normal circuits.

No regs as yet. The proposals for the next ammendment make mention of fire resistant fixings for escape routes though.

No reg, if there were a problem with plastic ty wraps they would not sell them. You may be confusing fire alarm installs where cables need to be secured by metal p clips or metal ty wraps, certainely no issue with plastic ty wraps on normal circuits.

Dunno about that, plastic tie wraps are not specifically made/produced or sold for use in electrical installations. I've seen them used in totally the wrong circumstances as far as securing cables to cable tray and the like!! People seem to treat those plastic tie wraps as a suitable replacement for clipping and cleating for just about every situation. Let's hope they don't tie wrap cables that could be subject to 20+ KA.... They will find, to their cost, that they don't, but spectacularly!! lol!!

But i suppose for general purposes, the use of ties is fine, ...but i still prefer to see bare or plastic coated perforated metal strip used in general terms, and substantial cable clamps/cleating as and when necessary...

I couldn't agree more with you ENG, however they are perfectly acceptable to use, it is up to the user to decide via design whether they are suitable for use on the Jobs they install, nothing wrong with them in reality, however they should be avoided on some projects as you mentioned of course.

Had this argument before with a project engineer over fire alarm cables during a fire. I asked him what about the plastic wall plugs holding the P clips in during the fire much to my amusement lol.

Had this argument before with a project engineer over fire alarm cables during a fire. I asked him what about the plastic wall plugs holding the P clips in during the fire much to my amusement lol.
LOL, it makes me laugh the fact sounders are made of plastic and yet the cables going to them has to be fire proof, I would like to see fireproof sounders myself and fireproof bells, still thats another debate for a different forum I suppose.

LOL, it makes me laugh the fact sounders are made of plastic and yet the cables going to them has to be fire proof, I would like to see fireproof sounders myself and fireproof bells, still thats another debate for a different forum I suppose.
This has always been a debate, as detection being plastic is ok, as once activated it has no further use. Bs argument is plastic siren sould be mounted on galv through boxes to keep integrity. (imo very open for debate).........Plastic cable ties, common sense here, if cable is lying on tray...plastic is fine, if cable is being held up on tray, steel ties every 3rd of a meter.

there is a report some where where a fire fighter was killed having got tangled up in cables , if it saves a fire fighters life then metallic ties would be prefered

av heard it all now on here , "is it ok to use plastic cable ties on tray" if it wasn't every supermarket in Britain would not comply with the regs

From what i've seen with my own eyes of supermaket wiring you can bet your last pound that none of them comply. ....And plastic ties on cable tray is the last thing to be worrying about in them!! lol!!

I got caught up in a chemical fire. The system was set so that there was an E-Stop on the control panel, it tripped the 11KV supply. Brilliant idea. NOT!
I was stuck in the acrid smoke in the dark! Cables falling out of runs didn’t help.

The company. I’ll give them their due, they never asked me to work on that plant ever again. Correct emergency lighting fitted throughout.

This was back in the 70’s I hope things are better now.

av heard it all now on here , "is it ok to use plastic cable ties on tray" if it wasn't every supermarket in Britain would not comply with the regs
The firefighter incident, was actually Co-op supermarket in Essex (hs fine £250k) The cables were all in T&W, and just thrown across the false ceiling, with no tray or support. The data, security, cctv and fire alarm cables were installed the same.
The only cables we see on tray are armored, as most specs, insist on all lv cables being in galv box trunking, with data, fire etc, being installed in basket tray. This seems to be the standard now on new builds and refits.

Reply to Zip ties on tray worked fixed to a wall in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net