Discuss 150mm Aluminium cable installation tips and tricks? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello again

Trying to estimate for a project that includes the installation of 16 x 150mm single aluminium cables, which will require bends.

I have no experience with this type of cable, could someone please describe the process from the start (where it needs to be removed from its reel and straightened) to the end (crimping), and any bits or equipment that maybe uses in-between that maybe useful? Total cable length will be around 160m, installation length will be around 10m.

How bendable - or not - is the cable?

Thanks for your help

Do not pass each cable through a separate hole in any ferrous metal.
Observe manufacturers data regarding supports and distances between them.

If working with big cables, safe lifting and handling is important
Ensure you have a plan
Stop at times to ensure everything is happening as it should.
Go slowly
Have more people than you think you will need.

Ensure no twists are put in the cable, it makes neat bends almost impossible.

Hello again

Trying to estimate for a project that includes the installation of 16 x 150mm single aluminium cables, which will require bends.

I have no experience with this type of cable, could someone please describe the process from the start (where it needs to be removed from its reel and straightened) to the end (crimping), and any bits or equipment that maybe uses in-between that maybe useful? Total cable length will be around 160m, installation length will be around 10m.

Thanks for your help

We could do with more info.
So you have to install 16 lengths of this cable, each 10 meters long.
What type of cable is it? You don't say if its armoured.
What are you installing the cables on and at what height?
What is is wiring from/to?
What does the installation diagram say, or is there not one?

Thanks for info

DC system.
8 pairs of positive & negative terminations at 1 end will all be terminated inside a single cabinet located inside a concrete building.

Each positive & negative pair will be routed from the cabinet to 1 of 8 inverters located on outside of building <10m distance. Cable will need a 90 degree bend either end & some gentle bends to enable tidy routing in between. Building has perforated floor but I need to visit site to assess the best way to route cables out of building.

Cable tray will be required.

Cables outside of the building will need to be covered or housed in some kind of containment system.

Crimp lugs will be used to terminate cables.

Non armored, single cables, all routing below 1.5m high.

No installation diagrams provided, I need to get more info from client on a few things.

How would you transport the drum on-site if required?
How would you remove cable from drum & get it straight?
How flexible is 150mm aluminium single non armored cable?
Is an aid required to bend the cable?

Then theres to AC multicore cables that need to be installed.

Interesting project

One thing to be wary of with aluminium conductors is the risk of galvanic corrosion where it is in contact with any other metal. Stainless (g.e. nuts/washers) shows noticeable corrosion after a while, copper/brass much worse!

Usually recommended is a jointing compound with zinc particles in it, for example:
https://www.jointingtech.co.uk/Bicon-X1-Electrical-Joint-Compound
https://www.an-wallis.co.uk/products/lightning-protection/oxide-inhibiting-compound

At a push Vaseline will do! It excludes moisture but is not an extreme pressure lubricant so metal-metal is contact not kept apart by it.

Hello again

Thanks for your help
I can’t help you over the pond on their ways of doing things what I did was get a 30 degree 25 mm PVC offset, it makes big aluminum wires easier to bend

Are you wedded to the concept of using aluminium? Really at that short a run and number of bends, I'd really think 95mm2 copper flexible cable would be so much easier and not all that much more expensive.

Reply to 150mm Aluminium cable installation tips and tricks? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net