Discuss 2.1Ah battery in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

As long as the voltage is correct then it will be fine. The ampere hour rating isn't too critical, it dictates how long the system will run without power before the battery is flat. The ampere hour rating of a battery decreases as it gets older so it's a variable in real life conditions.

Thanks mate, makes sense. Was just checking cause the unit manufacturer states on the equipment description that ONLY a 2.1Ah battery was to be used.

Cheers

I'm not sure why they suggest an exact value rather than saying 'at least 2.1Ah'. Three weeks from now your 2.2Ah battery will only have 2.1Ah capacity anyway. I wouldn't worry.

only thing Id say is check the physical dimensions as My gaffer told me to get a 3.8 rather than a 4Ah BUT the 3.8 is rectangular the 4 is more cube like and space wouldnt let the 3.8 fit

If the electrical specification is similar, a larger Ah capacity is a bonus. The physical dimensions, terminal type and position are usually more important parameters in this case when sourcing a replacement battery.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got a battery question, which I think I might as well post in here...

I've been given a load of 3.6V 3 cell 4Ah battery packs to replace existing 2 stick 5 x D cell 6V 4.5Ah in some emergency light setups.

Ah rating is not the issue here, but the voltage is and considering the newer packs require less voltage they should work fine with the existing setup shouldn't they?

So the EM requires 6 V to light up and you have 3.6V packs, are you proposing to split the packs or put two together to get 7.2Vs then use in-line resistor to drop it down to 6V or would you expect the light to work off 3.6V?

I guess I would expect the light to work off 3.6V.

It's more reliant on the switchgear (ballast) I would have thought. As long as the battery pack fits within the range stated on the emergency light ballast it should work, should it not?

Reply to 2.1Ah battery in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net