Discuss 2.5mm radial in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

gos

I have a basement that has 2 rooms. 1 has power and the other has not. I installed a 2.5mm ring in the room with no power, comprising of 8 double sockets. When I went to add these to the ring in the other room I discovered that there is no ring, it is actually a 4mm radial circuit on a 30 amp breaker.

My solution is to turn the new 2.5mm ring in to a radial circuit and join it on the the existing 4mm radial and drop the breaker down to 20 amps. Is this an acceptable and safe solution?

Thank you.

Graham

what kind of load willyou have on the 8 new sockets?

suggetion. make your new 2.5 into 2 radials, say 4 sockets apiece, feed each with a fused 13A spur off the 4mm radial. then you,ve still got 32A cct. in first room

Ah not possible now as it's been plastered and I removed the last cable so it's now 2.5mm radial. Any other suggestions Telectrix

could fit FCU to radial but that will only give you 13A max. or, fit enclosure with 1 16A MCB.... BTW, i am assuming that your original circuit is RCD protected. if not, fit one, or RCBO.

some guys would've made a 'lassoo' out of the 4mm radial+2.5 ring and left the 30amp -not me anyhow:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Without trying to be too overly critical as you are installing new circuits you should have established the the condition of and circuit arrangements of the existing installation (s) before undertaking alterations or additions to the installation which sorry to be blunt begs the question do you have the necessary competence and compliance to carry out the work to BS 7671 and comply with Part P regs ?

ATB S

Reply to 2.5mm radial in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net