Discuss 2391 the changes, from the horses mouth at City and Guilds. in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

I was going to do the 2391 as soon after christmas as i could afford it, but i mght have to rush onto it now. I bet therell be loads of people saying the new quals arent as good. Todays sparks who respect the 2391 are tomorrows bosses offering jobs.

You'll probably find in all probability, that the bosses of the future will, if they have any electrical qualifications, be straight from school to Uni desk bound Engineers, who wouldn't have the faintest idea about older C&Gs, only what will be current at the time. The others that will offering jobs in the future will be know nothing clerks or agencey parasites, the same as they are today ...lol!!!

Morning everyone
Not sure weather to ask this here or start a new thread
I have just updated my 17th edition with the 30 questions and am looking to join the Niecie. I do not do electrical work every day but have done several consumer unit changes which I get a friend to help me with so that the work can get signed off.
My question is that I dont think I will ever have the experience or the
Knowledge to take the 2391 but was wondering if you think I should go for the 2392.
Sorry if this was a bit long winded.

if getting practical experience and help why not throw a bit of study in the mix and go for the 2391, or do the 2392 then follow up with 2391

Hi every one i have just sat the 2391 at Lowestoft college on the 20th Oct and the fee was 590 pounds but a 9 week course at Great Yarmouth was going to cost 390 over the said weeks. Needless to say the Lowestoft course went ahead but not for the price, the tutor Jahn Ware is great and explains every thing over 4 days...

Just waiting for my results and the exam was tough...

Ian.

I recon its just another way of dilluting qualifications and making CnG more money as guys will do more and more CnGs to get qualifications without acctualy doing an apprenticeship IMO CnG shouldnt be open to all but a progressive ladder BUT as CnG keep moving the goal posts this will be a dream

Morning everyone
Not sure weather to ask this here or start a new thread
I have just updated my 17th edition with the 30 questions and am looking to join the Niecie. I do not do electrical work every day but have done several consumer unit changes which I get a friend to help me with so that the work can get signed off.
My question is that I dont think I will ever have the experience or the
Knowledge to take the 2391 but was wondering if you think I should go for the 2392.
Sorry if this was a bit long winded.
Why do you think this?....The 2391 is for ANYONE who feels ready to take it.....If you study the GN3 hard and are persistant with it ....theres no reason why you shouldn`t pass. The 2391 seems to be shrouded in mystery (with a bit of fear factor thrown in) but even the scenario (15 marks) questions arnt too tough as you are given all the info you need to answer the questions. I think some here are too quick to knock themselves back on this course but my advice would be to just go for it..........:D

Last edited:
Hi every one, I have just taken my 2391 and with all the changes that are happening will i be able if i have failed to re sit the existing exam?
I took it on the 20th Oct and will find out results about 1 Dec ish!

I am happy with how i did but have reservations on the result for me (well i will find out in due course).

Ian

Does anyone know how much its going to cost to do the 2394, 95, 96?

let me see if i have this right.. basically the 2394 i have to sit 3 exams.. same again with the 2395 and 2396?

City & Guilds 2394 Level 3 - Initial Verification of Electrical Installations
City & Guilds 2395 Level 3 - Periodic Inspection, Testing and Reporting of Electrical Installations

City & Guilds 2396 Level 4 - Design of Electrical Installations

or is it just the set 3?

thanks

My question is in the scope of the 2396 Design course. the 2391-20 course that I have is a level 3 qualification, which is hard work but doable as it was assignment based. for the 2396 to be a level 4 certificate, the bar must be higher.

Some of the guys 2391-20 assignment work was really classy with electro-cad design drawings, while my drawings were by hand and my calculations written out - theirs were done automatically by their cad programme!

will this sort of stuff be a requirement just to do the new quals?

My question is in the scope of the 2396 Design course. the 2391-20 course that I have is a level 3 qualification, which is hard work but doable as it was assignment based. for the 2396 to be a level 4 certificate, the bar must be higher.

Some of the guys 2391-20 assignment work was really classy with electro-cad design drawings, while my drawings were by hand and my calculations written out - theirs were done automatically by their cad programme!

Well done on getting your C&G 2391-20. Oh, and you probably did this course the correct way, believe me, if you can't do drawings and the accompanied calculations written out manually so to speak, then you you haven't really passed anything, as these programmes do everything for you. Any fool can pump in a few details, and the programme will do the rest. At least you know how to check any data on a computer screen when aren't exactly how they should be. It's very true when they say, ''a computer programme is only as good as the information it's given'' ..lol!!

It doesn't always follow that the latest course C&G 2396 will be any harder i'm afraid, as these days it seems they go the opposite way, to achieve the pass results, and have a further incentive of giving it a higher level grade to bring in the punters. You only have to look at the level grading of the Pat Testing C&G course set at level 3, to see the manipulation that going on these days.

It never used to be like this, but like everyone else, the C&G institute has jumped head first on the money train, which is not good news for the electrical industry, or come to that, ...any of the other vocational trades they presently cover certification wise....

Thank you engineer54 I did feel at the time that my work was a bit shoddy compared with theirs, and the assessor there hinted that this might be the way forward for me, but your point is taken. with all the new quals i know of people doing a seven day installer course, 17th edition, the practical testing course, then cramming for 2391, and attempting the design course and crashing to earth. if they had used the cad stuff they could have become electrical whizz kids without an actual day on site

There are better design courses out there, if i was you i would decide what line of work you wish to develop.

My line of work is Inspection and Testing, from domestic to industrial and i doubt that anyone can do this properly without a thorough understanding of the design requirements detailed in BS 7671.

I have kept up to date with every edition and update of the Regs and find that I still encounter installations that defy logic, whatever standard they were built to.

Reply to 2391 the changes, from the horses mouth at City and Guilds. in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net