Discuss 6 kw electrical hob with 2.5mm flex in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

Ltek Ltek

Got a ceramic electrical hob with 4 rings. All add up to 6kw. The only instructions for installation are

"For UK only
A Switched Fused Connection Unit to BS 1363 Part 4 is
recommended.
The fuse must be rated at 32 Amps"

Is there something I'm missing but surely the hob should be wired in at least 4 mm flex as 2.5 flex can only take 25 amp.

Of course after demand taken into account people usually only use 2 rings and nobody in the right might would wire it into what the instructions are saying as it would burn. I've told the landlord pretty much can't install the hob on a 32 must be a 20 but it would probably trip if they use the 4 rings.

Also cant wire 4 or 6 into the hob as it won't fit

Any opinions what you would do ?

Will 4.0mm² 3183TQ Butyl Flex Black fit? - at least it is round, rather than oval shaped.
Nominal O.D - 13.1mm

[Edit: PS: I didn't put in the links to Amazon!]

Last edited:
That's what I'm saying lol this is their recommendation

"For UK only
A Switched Fused Connection Unit to BS 1363 Part 4 is
recommended.
The fuse must be rated at 32 Amps"

The 4 mm would fit also but 1. Surely it shouldn't be sold with the 2.5mm and also the 4 mm will fit but the cord grip won't fit over the cable

The 4 mm would fit also but 1. Surely it shouldn't be sold with the 2.5mm and also the 4 mm will fit but the cord grip won't fit over the cable

Not sure what you mean about the 2.5mm, if you are referring to the Amazon links that some overzealous software has added to my post, please ignore those, you can buy the cable e.g. from TLC. Perhaps just change the cord grip or make your own.

If the 2.5mm is attached to the unit as it comes out of the box - just use it

Fit to what. The manufactorer recommends fitting to a fused spur which is only rated at 13 amp with a fused rated at 32 which I'm pretty sure you can't get and then 2 5mm which is only rated at 25 amp. So would fit to the 32amp which wouldn't protect it or the 20 amp which would trip it ? ???

Fit to what. The manufactorer recommends fitting to a fused spur which is only rated at 13 amp with a fused rated at 32 which I'm pretty sure you can't get and then 2 5mm which is only rated at 25 amp. So would fit to the 32amp which wouldn't protect it or the 20 amp which would trip it ? ???

Find a local electrician matey.

There's alot of assumption in the thread for us to relpy to so can we first of all get the make and model of the hob or a link to the online installation guide.

You say its a 2.5mm flex, does it say this on the flex or are you guessing?
You claim the flex is 25amp rated - have you got this info from the cable manufacturers?
Would this hob be sourced originally from china or similar as their attempts to translate often don't tally well with actual English - I've just fitted a sump pump that must comply to 18th edition and claimed it was 3ph on the rating plate but comes with a 13amp plug top on it... If you have any issues with incorrect instructions you need to contact your supplier and let them do all the donkey work unless you are competent enough to realise the actual requirements and demand of the hob yourself.

Reply to 6 kw electrical hob with 2.5mm flex in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net