Discuss A Useful Guide For Replacing Plug Fuses in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

hi guys & gals,

thanks for continued feedback : certainly, as @Lucien Nunes suggests, appliance could still have internal faults - even with a "compliant fuse" fitted. without getting too "supergeeky", plug, fuse and wiring form part of the circuit, so that's where I focused my repair efforts. (in original forum post, OP mentioned changing entire plug too).

from observations, I've noted brass pins can be dull (on older plugs) and of course, it's a good idea to check all terminal connections are clean and tight inside plug casing.

Generally, I attempt to fault trace what I can, rather than disassembling appliances. (I'm not a pro-trained electrician, so keep away from capacitors and "live working"). ? Ironically, I've just been involved in disassembling a an old Zanussi FL 1032 washing machine... but I'll spare you all the grizzly details ? (couldnt see any capacitors inside the unit).

Since a few members mentioned Maplins (being overpriced) I wondered what the word was "on the wire" about their demise. Generally, it seems company couldnt "compete with online retailers" like Amazon. (I must be old skool, I still like to look someone in the eye when I buy anything, especially something like electronic components).

Anyway, as per @Darkwood original observation, I managed to hunt down a website that lists better manufacturers of fuses. [pic attached] the general thrust of my guide is to assist you guys in the field, as i know what it feels like to be charged with fixing something that refuses to work. (knowledge is power).

RS Components:

"Fuses should have a current rating that is slightly higher than the standard operating current of the device. This means that the fuse will not blow and trip the circuit in the event of a low, harmless surge."

Bussmann have produced a vid detailing how larger cartridge fuses are made (youtube, not sure I can post that here)? Basically, in genuine fuses they use a "44/100 sand filler" and "check voltage throughout" the fuse, before it's retailed.

kind regards, NB

Attachments

• ReputableFUSEBrands.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 4
i never known of a 1" piece of 6mm screwed rod blowing, think rating is around 3000A. that'll run all your appliances off of a 8 way extension lead and still be able to cope with the cooker and shower. ???

i never known of a 1" piece of 6mm screwed rod blowing, think rating is around 3000A. that'll run all your appliances off of a 8 way extension lead and still be able to cope with the cooker and shower.

i've been on this forum so long, I actually got this joke ?

anyway... the debate about Maplins fascinates me... because getting balance right between quality and reasonable cost is probably the secret to success... maybe?

It also went a lot more consumer goods based rather than an electronic hobbyists store like it was originally

From what I can tell, Maplins was set up by two supergeeks (like me, I guess)? who couldnt find quality components for their electronics projects.... As DPG points out, they diversified into "consumer goods", rather than sticking with components and tools for the trade (is there a lesson here)?

Anyway, for the nostalgic among you, I came across a "Maplins Universal Charger" (for laptops) during my sort out... Checking it carefully, its fitted with a genuine "bussmann" fuse and even the molded plug has a BS rating. I repair many chargers and laptops (just as a hobbyist mind you). This thing came with multiple plugs, can cope with a range of voltages, has a digital display and survived my sister's household (3 teenagers, 2 dogs and one husband who works in construction trade) for two years! ?

Maybe it's my old skool ways, but spending a few quid extra (sometimes) leads to considerable savings down the line...

kind regards, NB

Attachments

• BussmannFUSEMaplinPlug.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 2
  • MaplinsChargerPlugFuse.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3
  • MaplinUniversal Adaptor FRONT.jpg
    723 KB · Views: 3
  • MaplinUniversalAdaptorPANEL.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 4

Reply to A Useful Guide For Replacing Plug Fuses in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock