Discuss How-to make this US plug work in the UK? [help please] in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

w1sef00l

DIY
Reaction score
So I'm based in the UK and I have bought a lava lamp that came with a US plug. After blowing the light bulb (which was also US and was a pain to find and replace online), I clipped off the plug and wired in a UK plug instead of using the travel adaptor. Now it just won't work/ turn on.

On the actual wiring it says this: 105oC 300V VW-1 XESON C(UL) E342629 SPT-2 2x 0.824mm2 (18AWG)

I am using a 13A fuse in the plug but could that be the fault?

Happy to post photos if necessary :)

There may be other components in the lamp that have blown. Being US it will be intended for use at 120V, so connecting to the UK supply was quite a dangerous thing to do.

I would personally buy a new one that is intended for the UK market.

Post a photo of the rating plate if you want though, worth a look.

Here is the information on the lamp stand and wire
[automerge]1596532989[/automerge]
Could I wire into a converter of some sort? I would rather have this lava lamp because it was their last one in this colour haha

Attachments

• IMG_20200803_120235337.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_20200803_120243050.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_20200803_120250597.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 49
Here is the information on the lamp stand and wire
[automerge]1596532989[/automerge]
Could I wire into a converter of some sort? I would rather have this lava lamp because it was their last one in this colour haha

You could use a transformer, but the flex to that lamp does not meet uk regulations, so it must be wired as an isolated system. This is not a standard type of transformer arrangement that is widely produced or available in the UK.

Basically, the flex is unsuitable for uk mains wiring, it is the wrong voltage for use in the uk, and the lamp housing is not to uk standards, and as a metal lamp without an earth, or double insulated, would be considered dangerous in the uk

You would be better finding a UK lamp which could accept the "lava" portion if you really want that colour/style.

As it stands it is not suitable for use in the uk.

Couldn't I remove the internal wiring within the housing and fit it with uk standard components? Sorry im a complete novice so excuse if im not using the correct terms :sweatsmile:

Couldn't I remove the internal wiring within the housing and fit it with uk standard components? Sorry im a complete novice so excuse if im not using the correct terms :sweatsmile:

Yes, providing you use the correct components, and ensure it is fully compliant with uk standards, this would require new 3 core flex, replacement switches, replacement lampholder, and all wiring properly insulated internally, plus a proper earth connection to all exposed metallic parts.

It is perhaps something an electrician may be able to do, but will require careful design depending on the internals

A Lava lamp is only a bulb in the base, no other components.

It needs a 240v bulb 40w of the same size, A15 and reflector if the 120v has one and the same base which appears to be E26.

And as per Julie,
The U.K plug needs wiring so that the Live is the centre pin of the bulb holder and as the lamp doesn't appear to marked as double insulated (square in square) it most likely needs a 3 core cable with earth connected. The lampholder maybe O.k if suitable for 240v.
Presumably the switch is in the flex?

Try a local appliance repair shop, they may be able to convert and test it.

A Lava lamp is only a bulb in the base, no other components.

It needs a 240v bulb 40w of the same size, A15 and reflector if the 120v has one and the same base which appears to be E26.

And as per Julie,
The U.K plug needs wiring so that the Live is the centre pin of the bulb holder and as the lamp doesn't appear to marked as double insulated (square in square) it most likely needs a 3 core cable with earth connected. The lampholder maybe O.k if suitable for 240v.
Presumably the switch is in the flex?

Try a local appliance repair shop, they may be able to convert and test it.

Yeah, it's not clear in the photo, I couldn't really decide if the lampholder is to 60238 or not, I think it may connect to the outside screw early rather than later in the lamp insertion so suggested it ought to be changed, but upon examination, someone competent would be able to confirm either way.

Okay so if I purchased a 3 core flex cable, would I still need to get a switch or could I wire the one I already have that's on this original cable presuming the switch works fine? I have been quoted ÂŁ40 for the plug change at the repair shop so I've decided to do it myself. Shouldn't be too difficult? I have all the essentials (soldering, wire wraps etc)

But we still don't know the reason why it is not working, even after bulb replacement.

Bearing in mind the safety issues, I would say, as above, that only a competent electrician should consider converting this to UK spec. There is a shock risk otherwise.

E240960 would be a manufacturer's number - it doesn't display the actual standard it is manufactured to - Which would indicate it's likely to be a cheap Chinese copy or similar

Thank you everyone for your input! I feel like this is fast becoming a lost cause, I might have to suck it up and just purchase a new one o_O
You could try these people, this is what they do - I link to a page explaining the lampholders themselves.

Don't know what they are like, never used them

But we still don't know the reason why it is not working, even after bulb replacement.

So I'm based in the UK and I have bought a lava lamp that came with a US plug. After blowing the light bulb (which was also US and was a pain to find and replace online), I clipped off the plug and wired in a UK plug instead of using the travel adaptor. Now it just won't work/ turn on.

Suggest that the reason it's not working is that he's replaced the blown 120v lamp with....... another 120v lamp, and that's blown too.

Suggest that the reason it's not working is that he's replaced the blown 120v lamp with....... another 120v lamp, and that's blown too.

After re-reading his post I think you're right. Oh dear :)

Yes, but all the other issues still stand, it is fortunate that they didn't use a 240v lamp, as although it would work, it would have had no earth, no double insulation, and a cord which is basically better bellwire!

Reply to How-to make this US plug work in the UK? [help please] in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net