Discuss adding fused FCU to radial circuit in kitchen in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

scot3

-
Reaction score
Hi,
I am fitting a new kitchen and would like to know if it's ok to connect switched 13amp FCU onto a radial circuit. The kitchen has a radial circuit with 4 x double sockets fitted - 2.5 twin and earth cable. I would like to add 4 x 13amp switched FCU's - one from each double socket so as I can plug in my appliances. Would this be ok/regulated to do?

Cheers

scot3

bear in mind that the total load of a 2.5mm radial is 27A (ref. method C). would it not be a good idea to convert to a ring, or fit a 2nd radial for your 4 appliances, maybe in 4mm?

edit: 27A is approx the load of 3 appliances ( like dishwashers) without allowing for diversity).

Hi,
I am fitting a new kitchen and would like to know if it's ok to connect switched 13amp FCU onto a radial circuit. The kitchen has a radial circuit with 4 x double sockets fitted - 2.5 twin and earth cable. I would like to add 4 x 13amp switched FCU's - one from each double socket so as I can plug in my appliances. Would this be ok/regulated to do?

Cheers

scot3
No not a very good idea. You will ideally need a new Ring Final Circuit ( RFC ) or a Radial circuit utilising 4mm2 cable, installed in your new kitchen to allow for heavier electrical loading's, Washing Machines, Driers, Dishwashers etc, to do what you suggest is far from the best option and you can't plug anything into a FCU it would need to be hard wired.
You need to get the opinion and experience of an Electrician to design a new circuit for you, it will need to be tested and certified anyway.

could be worse than DIY. he might get a kitchen fitter to do it.

Reply to adding fused FCU to radial circuit in kitchen in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net