Discuss Advice needed about Canada's countertop outlets in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

kcanning

DIY
Reaction score
I am about to install two electrical receptacle outlets above a kitchen countertop. 50+ years ago, the original house wiring had no outlets there.

1) Do both outlets need to be GFCI, and each with their own individual 15 amp/or 20 amp circuit breakers? Or can both GFCI's be connected together with only ONE 15 amp/or 20 amp breaker?

OR

2) Can both outlets be connected together with the upstream one a GFCI, and the downstream one plain jane, and then to panel box with one 15 amp/or 20 amp circuit breaker?

AND

3) Can I (yes or no) also attach a plain jane outlet for kitchen tv onto whichever is the correct choice above?

Big thanks to the Forum for allowing me to ask for this help. Cheers

Not sure of the regulations concerning GFCI in Canada, but would presume same as USA. @Megawatt might be the best bet for an answer.

IMHO, Ultimately safer for both to be GFCI, and I would expect if it is permitted, to have both on same breaker, as long as the expected combined load does not exceed the 15 or 20Amp maximum. (What do you plan to use the outlets for?)

Not sure of the regulations concerning GFCI in Canada, but would presume same as USA. @Megawatt might be the best bet for an answer.

IMHO, Ultimately safer for both to be GFCI, and I would expect if it is permitted, to have both on same breaker, as long as the expected combined load does not exceed the 15 or 20Amp maximum. (What do you plan to use the outlets for?)
Both kitchen outlets above the countertop will be used for toaster, kettle, coffee maker, mixer, can opener.

In addition to your reply, can an additional outlet OR two be be connected and installed further downstream on wall for tv, and radio/vacuum cleaner?

Thanks littlespark.

littlespark and I are both in the UK, and only have detailed knowledge of UK regulations, so we can't give definitive answers.
In the UK you can have as many sockets as you like in an area of a maximum size of 25m2, fed by a single 20A breaker and RCD (GFCI), or as many as you like in an area up to 50m2, fed by a single 32A breaker and RCD.
In both cases, the cable sizes would need to be adequate for the breakers, normally 2.5mm2 for the 20A and 4.0mm2 for the 32A
It's also a requirement to take into account the size of the loads likely to be plugged into the sockets, so that the maximum currents won't be greater than the breaker's rating for any significant length of time.

littlespark and I are both in the UK, and only have detailed knowledge of UK regulations, so we can't give definitive answers.
In the UK you can have as many sockets as you like in an area of a maximum size of 25m2, fed by a single 20A breaker and RCD (GFCI), or as many as you like in an area up to 50m2, fed by a single 32A breaker and RCD.
In both cases, the cable sizes would need to be adequate for the breakers, normally 2.5mm2 for the 20A and 4.0mm2 for the 32A
It's also a requirement to take into account the size of the loads likely to be plugged into the sockets, so that the maximum currents won't be greater than the breaker's rating for any significant length of time.

Ok, thanks for the electrical lesson, brianmoooore :)

I am about to install two electrical receptacle outlets above a kitchen countertop. 50+ years ago, the original house wiring had no outlets there.

1) Do both outlets need to be GFCI, and each with their own individual 15 amp/or 20 amp circuit breakers? Or can both GFCI's be connected together with only ONE 15 amp/or 20 amp breaker?

OR

2) Can both outlets be connected together with the upstream one a GFCI, and the downstream one plain jane, and then to panel box with one 15 amp/or 20 amp circuit breaker?

AND

3) Can I (yes or no) also attach a plain jane outlet for kitchen tv onto whichever is the correct choice above?

Big thanks to the Forum for allowing me to ask for this help. Cheers
To answer your question, you can install 1 GFCI outlet and feed the others off the load side of your GFCI. Everything else should be GFCI protected around your sink including your TV

Reply to Advice needed about Canada's countertop outlets in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net